Sunday in Toronto

Jul 15th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Sunday in Toronto

We are going to be in Toronto for the weekend of August 1. We have "Hairspray" tickets for the matinee on Sunday.

Does anyone have any suggestions of things to do on Sunday morning (besides go to church)?

Suggestions for special restaurants within walking distance of the theater district (where we will be staying) that will be open on Sunday night? This will be a special occasion dinner.

Thanks in advance.

Gerhardt.
Jul 15th, 2004, 07:17 PM

Even Toronto the Good no longer has many Sunday restrictions. If restaurants are closed at all it's more usually Monday night than Sunday. Shopping Malls usually open arond 11AM or Noon and stay open till 5ish. Tourist areas like Queens Quay have some of their busiest days on Sunday. So don't sweat it.
Jul 15th, 2004, 08:00 PM
BAK

Sunday mornings are pretty boring in downtown Toronto.

The streets are semi-filled with tourists, holding maps, and wondering where to go.

When I'm downtown (about half the time) on Sundays, I seem to end up in a Second Cup lingering over a coffee, and reading. Even the Chapters bookstores don't open until 11, an hour later than usual.

So...

I suggest you plan for Sunday morning to be your time at Harbourfront. Starting in the entertainment district (Holiday Inn? Le Germain?)go to King Street West and John and get a coffee and muffin from Second Cup (or Tim Horton's across the street) andyou may even run into me.

then walk south on John Street past the CBC building, toward the CN Tower. Walk between it and SkyDome, down the stairs, and through the underpass and you're at Harbourfront. There's usually some festival or entertainment or displays of some sort going on, you can take an early harbour cruise, or walk east to the ferry terminal, and ride over to Toronto Island.

Then work your way back to the entertainment district for lunch, before the show. Most of the good restaurants open at 11 on Sunday mornings.

BEfore Sunday, or early Sunday morning on your way to coffee at Second Cup, read the menus in front ofthe block of restaurants across from the Holiday Inn on King. By the definitions of many people, lots of these would qualify for "special." Look for an indication they are open Sunday evening, but most of those will be.

Make a note of the phone numbers, and call and make a reservation.

BAK

Jul 16th, 2004, 06:38 AM

A harbour tour...that is a fabulous Sunday idea...there is a great Second Cup at the foot of Yonge street by Queen's Quay where you would pick up most Harbour tours...I vote for that!!

Otherwise why not take a driven tour of the city on one of the planned tour buses...?
Jul 16th, 2004, 07:44 AM

We will be there this Sunday and I read about the Harbourfront festivals - this weekend being Latin American Arts! Are these generally fun/interesting things to just walk around & enjoy if it is nice weather? I think the festivals are all summer - so that could be another option for Sundays in August too.
Jul 16th, 2004, 08:06 AM
BAK

Assuming you like Latin American Arts, it will be a good thing to visit.

Chances are very good there will be some food stands, live performance artists, and probably hang-in-the-wall and wear-in-your-body arts, too.

The only question will relate to when do the displays get up and visitable, compared to when you want to get started. But even early, it's a nice place to visit. To start, perhaps, head for the west end of harbourfront, west of Spadina, in the music garden area, where there are nice cultivated gardens and some very interesting swamp (honest) with walkways. Then turn back east and walk along the side of the lake and get to the arts festival stuff.

BAK
Jul 16th, 2004, 08:37 AM

Well, considering we just got back last week from Costa Rica & were in Brazil last year, I'm excited about the Latin American arts festival! It'll bring back some memories of great trips hopefully!
Jul 16th, 2004, 08:37 AM

There's also a jazz festival (sort of the start to the Beaches jazz festival) at the Distillery District this weekend. So there is loads to do this weekend in the city!
Jul 16th, 2004, 04:48 PM

Not sure what your budget is but many of the restaurants around the theatre/Entertainment District will be open. However, if "special" means "fine dining"/very expensive, Sunday night is a tough night in any city as it is not a popular night for expense accounts or special occasions. I checked torontolife.com (the other good website for resturants is toronto.com) and I could only find two upper end restaurants listed as being open on Sundays (but I would check as it is the summer and a long weekend to boot)...Senses (in Soho Metropolitan Hotel, 328 Wellington W) and Luce (in Hotel Le Germain, 30 Mercer St). Both are restaurants which happen to be located in hotels rather than being typical hotel restaurants. Another choice would be 360 at the top of the CN Tower, decent but not the best food but certainly a special spot.

The city should be busy as it is a long weekend and it is the main weekend for Caribana with the parade on Saturday. If you are interested in people watching, the Caribana parade and Yonge St on Friday and Saturday night will be the places to be. I find watching the sea of people on Yonge St either Friday or Saturday night to be fascinating.

A couple of other suggestions for Sunday morning would be Chinatown - much more peaceful and fresh smelling in the morning before the throngs descend. Kensington Market is closed to pedestrians on Sundays until mid August but doesn't get going until noon.

If you are interested in another show, we just saw Urinetown this week and highly recommend it. It is as good as Hairspray, some might say better. There is a 40% off promotion during the week and you might be able to land half price tickets at T.O. Tix (same day shows at 50%; open Tues-Sat at 12noon; located at Dundas Square (SE corner of Yonge)).

Enjoy!!
Jul 19th, 2004, 10:05 AM

Yes, as the above poster has noted, the July 31st weekend is the Caribana Festival weekend and you will find the city filled with revellers.

The main parade is on the Saturday afternoon (Steele bands and elaborate masked costumes) with the cultural festival (food, music and other fun) happening on Sunday and Monday on Olympic island (one of the Toronto Islands). Give it a shot.
Jul 19th, 2004, 03:02 PM

There is a tour bus in shape of a hippo, yes you read that right, that offers a 90 min tour around Toronto. I think the earliest time is 11:00 am.The bus also transforms itself into a boat so you tour on land and water.

If you're interested the website is www.torontohippotours.com
Aug 6th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks to all of you for the suggestions. It was a beautiful weekend weather-wise. We thought about Caribana, but the crowds were too daunting. So on Sunday morning we took the Hippo tour. What fun that was. It fit right in with our schedule. We went back to the hotel to change and then to see "Hairspray". Loved it. Finally, a very nice dinner at Verona. Good food and excellent service. A really enjoyable day. Thanks again for the suggestions. They will be saved for our next trip. Gerhardt.
Aug 7th, 2004, 10:24 AM

I'm happy you had a nice time in Toronto!