columbia icefields and glacier

Old Jun 18th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
columbia icefields and glacier

This may be a stupid question, but do you have to take the snowcoach tour to be able to see the glacier? I don't care about walking on it, but I'd like to be able to get to it and see it. I'm just not sure I want to do a tour. I'd rather have my own car and drive up the Icefield Pkwy. myself (well with my husband). What are your thoughts on doing the snowcoach thing?

Also, I've read two different places on how long it takes to get from the Calgary airport to Lake Louise (Post Hotel to be exact). One website that actually gave directions said 2 hours, but others have said 3. I'm just trying to figure out if we will make it in time for our dinner reservations!!! We are going July 13th and I was wondering if the weather is usually a little warmer by then? It seems awfully chilly right now. I was hoping to be able to wear some shorts.

Thanks.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 07:05 PM

No. You can park near the toe of the glacier and walk right up to it and kick glacial ice -- gently of course.

The main tongue of the Athabasca is visible from the highway as well.

Although the Athabasca Glacier is going backwards rather rapidly, you can still see it.
The toe is rather dirty with debris and not all that pretty to me.

If you the trail to Parker Ridge is open, you can if you wish walk up to the crest of the ridge for a look at the Saskatchewan Glacier. Last I heard, it was still visible although it continues to retreat rather rapidly.

You can wear shorts, but you may shiver a little. Might be warm enough in the day. Why shorts if the weather is cold?

Old Jun 18th, 2006, 09:00 PM

As for the time from the airport to Lake Louise, it will probably take about 1/2 hour to get out of the airport and get to your rental car, another 1/2 hour to drive across Calgary to the western outskirts. From there I beleive it is just over an hour to Banff and then another 1/2 hour to Lake Louise. The speed limit within the Park is lower and you may run into some delays if there is road construction or heavy traffic. I would guess that your trip would be closer to 3 hours. Your timing could also be affected if your flight is early, late, or on time.
The weather lately has been cool and rainy, but July is usually better. The weather can often change very quickly in the mountains and you could run into a variety of weather conditions each day.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.

Bob, to answer your question "why shorts", it's just that I had bought some new clothes for summer and I was hoping to get to where them. I'm in Texas and have a lot more clothes for warm weather than cool. That's all. No big deal though. I love the cool weather, I was just hoping it would be cool, but not actually chilly.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 05:14 AM

On a sunny day, it will be warm enough.
If you get clouds, it will not be.
In late August more than once I have walked in the snow, or in sleet.

If you were going to Lethbridge or Drumheller, I would say have sunscreen and shorts! I have been in the southern part of Alberta when it was nearly as hot as Texas in July.

The mountains are cooler, however, and if the sun is behind the clouds, the temperature swings can be dramatic.

Old Jun 19th, 2006, 08:57 AM

Don't go walking on the glacier's tongue. People have slipped and died doing so. It's pretty cold at the bottom of a crevasse.

I think Angel glacier at mount Edith Cavell is a prettier site. It looks best on a clear morning.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 09:05 AM

And a funny story (true) from my friend in Jasper:

A woman was packing a suitcase with ice. A warden came by asking what she was doing. She said "This ice is so old, it'll never melt!" The warden didn't say a thing and helped her fill her suitcase.