Vancouver or Victoria, with Seattle?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are trying to plan 5 nights total, flying into Seattle (cheaper fares from Atlanta than Vancouver). We have no idea about this region, and would very much appreciate insight. We assume Seattle is worth a night or two, but do we go to Victoria for 3 nights, Vancouver for 3, or split between both? We (I) like to nest- not inclined to stay in 3 places. Looked at Aerie resort in Victoria (that's the level of place we'd like- 4 star) and it looks great, but not sure we should commit to Victoria. We like hiking, rafting, and good food, but not into museums or tourist traps.(E.g. spent last 3 vacations in Costa Rica) Might enjoy whale watching. Our 2 kids will be at camp, so this is our chance to relax and have fun, reconnect. Please help! Thanks.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 09:14 PM

I'm very fond of both Vancouver and Vancouver Island, partly for the same reasons and partly for different reasons.

From the way you've described yourselves, I believe you'd be miserable if you went to all 3 places in 5 days.

Also based on the way you've described yourselves, you sound to me as if you're island people more than you are Vancouver people or indeed Seattle people.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Judy,
Thanks for the input. My husband was concerned that the island might be too stuffy, like we experienced in Bermuda (also stayed at Relais & Chateaux property there- might be part of the problem!). What about basing ourselves in Seattle and taking daytrips? Or do we really need overnight to justify going to Victoria? WOuld love to know what you like about Vancouver Island, and what part to stay in .Thanks
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 09:40 AM
amaclise

I day tripped Victoria from Vancouver. It deserved more time! It is wonderful but it does feel very Victorian/Bermudian. For that reason you might prefer Vancouver. There are lots of public gardens in Vancouver that are beautiful and the bay is lovely.

I guess I would stay in Vancouver (the Pan Pacific is nice) and find a day trip that suits your outdoor tastes be it Victoria or somewhere else.

Try driving to Snowqualmie Falls from Seattle as well. That will get you into the countryside.

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 10:17 AM

While Victoria itself could be "stuffy", I think you would enjoy a different part of the Island. Parksville, Qualicum Beach, or even north to Uculet/Tofino/Long Beach area.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 07:05 AM

Your opinion...
Would you drive to Vancouver from Seattle or would you use Amtrak or some other method?
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 08:20 AM

>>>>>>Would you drive to Vancouver from Seattle or would you use Amtrak or some other method?<<<<<<

I've seen favourable comments about Quick Shuttle on the travel discussion forums.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Judy in Calgary- now we got free tix using points to fly into Calgary. Should we choose Banff or Lake Louise? Considering Rimrock resort, Buffalo or Deer Lodges. Also Fairmont is offering specials (looks stuffy though) at all western locations- including Banff and L.L. Thanks
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 03:35 PM
amaclise

Assuming you're open to input from someone other than Judy in Calgary...we absolutely loved Deer Lodge. I think Judy would agree.

We stayed in Banff and also in Lake Louise. It's an easy move if you want to do it, assuming you're not packing to heavy.

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 11:24 PM

Amaclise, it's nice to see someone else who shares my fondness for Deer Lodge. I definitely have a soft spot for it. But, if jdp867 likes 4 start accommodation, as she stated in the original post, Deer Lodge does not qualify.

Jdp867, from the way you've described yourselves, I would guess that you would prefer Lake Louise over Banff.

Banff is teeming with people in July and August. But it's true that the Banff properties that you're considering are outside of the town centre and, as such, in quieter locations.

It is possible to switch accommodations between Banff and Lake Louise, as amaclise pointed out. But, since they're about 50 minutes from each other, one can be used as a base for visiting the other.

Jdp867, in addition to Lake Louise, you could consider Emerald Lake Lodge. It's about half an hour west of Lake Louise, and it's a great location if you really want to get away from it all.

The only limitation of Emerald Lake Lodge is that your dining options are narrow if you want to eat there. It has an excellent restaurant. But, since the property is in a secluded position, there are no offsite restaurants in the immediate vicinity.

If you wanted variety, you'd need to dine in Lake Louise. You also might get a kick out of the Truffle Pig in the hamlet of Field, British Columbia, 7 miles from Emerald Lake Lodge.

Regardless of whether you stayed in Banff, Lake Louise or Emerald Lake, you could go white water rafting on the Kicking Horse River. It's west of Lake Louise, in Yoho National Park, which is where Emerald Lake also is located.

If you look at the "Four Days in Lake Louise" itinerary on my website, you'll get an idea of some of the things you can do in the area.

http://groups.msn.com/CalgaryandCana...ips/4days.msnw

I also recommend the TIPS section of my website, because it has links to practical information like Weather, What To Pack, National Park Entry Fees, Driving Distances and Times, Maps, etc., etc.

I feel another relevant page is the one about the logistics of getting back to Calgary Airport, specifically the amount of time you need to allow for that.

http://groups.msn.com/CalgaryandCana...s/airport.msnw

I am probably not the right person to ask about hotels. I have an allergic reaction to large hotels, and especially to large hotels that have shops that sell Gucci scarves and that type of thing. That is just not me. I like B&Bs, country inns, and small-ish hotels, up to about 100 rooms. That means I'm the sort of person who likes Buffalo Mountain Lodge, Deer Lodge and Emerald Lake Lodge.

That said, the choice of hotel also depends on the circumstances. Last weeknd my husband and I attended a wedding at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Banff, followed by a reception at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel. I have to say it was wonderful in every way.

If you want a larger selection of opinions, I suggest you search Fodor's Talk and TripAdvisor's hotel review for the following:

BANFF
Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel
Rimrock Resort Hotel
Buffalo Mountain Lodge

LAKE LOUISE
Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise
Post Hotel
Baker Creek Chalets

FIELD, BC
Emerald Lake Lodge

Also, if you want more answers, it might be a good idea if you posted your Banff / Lake Louise questions in a new thread. I almost did not see your questions, because I open threads about British Columbia more rarely than threads about Alberta.

Anyway, I hope the above has been of some assistance.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 12:05 PM

With only five nights around here, Victoria shouldn't even be on the list, mostly for its transportation barriers.

For my example, say you're arriving on the fifth and leaving on the tenth of the month:

5th Arrive in Seattle and stay the first of two nights in a downtown hotel (might save money by just getting the airporter shuttle to downtown (for about $9 a person) and renting your car from the downtown rental agents a couple of days later).

Morning of 7th go and pick-up your rental car, then drive immediately north on Interstate 5 toward the border (110 miles to the border, 30 more to Vancouver, Canada).

Arrive in Canada early afternoon (before rush hour is probably good) and have two nights booked at a downtown hotel.

Just before rush hour on the 9th of the month, leave Vancouver heading back toward Seattle and book a room at/near the Seattle airport for your departure flight on the 10th.

If your flight is happening later in the day on the 10th, then you could use your rental car to drive around to a particular spot of interest you couldn't see when without a car a few days earlier.

The trip will be somewhat rushed as described yet you will get a reasonable taste of two very impressive cities.

Hope this inspires you somehow.