coffeemaker in hotels etc

Old Jun 14th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coffeemaker in hotels etc

I am on a trip to BC in late August. As a German I am familiar with "coffee-machines" using filter-paper (Melitta). Do I need anything for the coffeemaker's in suites/hotelrooms in Canada? Hope, the question is not to stupid?! Wolli
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 07:46 AM

Guten Tag, the hotel should provide everything you'll need.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 08:05 AM

Normally hotels provide a small (4 cup) coffee machine in the room, although the coffee grounds they supply is usually pretty bad - enough to get you out the door, but you wouldn't want to make a habit of it.
Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 08:39 AM

They won't usually supply milk or cream, only powdered creamer. They will provide sugar or artificial sweetener. If you need real cream or milk in your coffee, pick some up at a convenience store and keep it in your ice bucket with ice.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 05:08 PM

Most of the hotels use the prepackaged coffee pack. It never has enough coffee in it to make a decent cup. I always carry some little baggies with my own coffee and some paper filters (small size) I can usually make the filters fit one way or another and at least have a decent cup that way.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. That will help. Another topic came into my mind: hat about cooling drinks etc. in the car. We rent a car for our 23 days trip . Should we buy a cheap ice chest together with freeze packs or ice cubes?
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. That will help. Another topic came into my mind: what about cooling drinks etc. in the car. We rent a car for our 23 days trip . Should we buy a cheap ice chest together with freeze packs or ice cubes?
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 05:34 AM

Lots of hotels have free coffee in the lobby now. It's usually better than the the stuff you can make in your room.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 09:21 AM

How many folks will be traveling?

If only you or you and 1 other, I would pick up one of those small 6-pack sized softsided coolers once you arrive. That would hold enough drinks for 2 of you for a day. At the end of each day, refill the cooler.

If you have a mini fridge at the hotel(s), just put the cooler w/sodas into it at night. If not, then you'll want to pick up some ice each morning. I'd just stop at a fast food place and ask for a large cup of ice. That would be enough for that sized cooler.

At the end of your trip, fold the cooler down and take it home with you.

If you have more than 2 people, then you would probably do better with a cheap styrofoam cooler and a small bag of ice. When the level of the ice goes down too far, buy another small bag and refill the cooler. Again, only keep enough drinks in the cooler for the day, replacing them each night.