Clagary non-a/p car rental

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since can rentals are half price or more at a non-airport office, does anyone have any information about renting a car at an office not at Calgary a/p? Should we take a taxi from the airport to another office? Any suggestions about which to use? We need one from Sunday-Thursday. Thanks
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 05:35 AM

Try Expedia or Priceline. I don't think there is a big difference whether it is at the airport or not. Also the 30-40 dollars for a cab each way kills any savings. If you want to save money on your car rental look at the insurance. Your own insurance provider can offer you a rider for a year for the price of a week. My Visa card has a rider for insurance also. For the lack of hassle rent at the airport.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

The difference is between approximately 99.00 CAD per day versus 39.00 CAD non airport per day. That's at all the major car rental places.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 03:12 PM

Something seems amiss here. I have rented a car at Calgary Airport (in-terminal) many times at various times of the year and have never paid anywhere near $99 per day for a full-sized car.

The difference between an airport rental in Calgary and one in town should be no more than the 15.85% airport concession fee and the consolidated facility charge of $6.00 per day. I can't see how that could add up to the difference between the two rates.

For example, my last rental (this past January) of a Hyundai Sonata from Enterprise came to $272 for 7 days, all taxes and fees included. Even discounting for the time of year and a weekly versus daily rate, that is still quite a bit below $99 a day.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 09:29 PM

I don't know where you are getting your prices but if you go to Priceline and put in your dates (I checked it for this Sunday to Thursday) the prices for airport pickup vary depending on the size of the vehicle from $19/day to $24 with alamo. The only price that is a lot higher is for what they call Premium vehicle. The $24 was for a "full size" car.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

The only thing I can figure for the big differences here are the fact that my dates are Aug 2-6. They're quite a bit higher then than now. Priceline shows Budget a/p 85+ for an intermediate vs 32 non-a/p; Hertz 94 a/p vs 38 non a/p and Enterprise is 99 a/p and off site locations aren't open Sun. or Mon. I hear that Monday (8/3) is a holiday?
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 02:09 PM

Yes, I see what you mean. Are you a Costco member? I went to their site costco.ca and put your dates in using a northwest Calgary branch of Budget. The difference was huge I think the airport was $240 something and the other branch for those dates and car size was Between $80 and $90. Do you live in Canada and are you a Costco member. If you live in the states you can do it through costco.com.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

We are Costco members in the states, I will check that out. Thanks