airport transfer vs car rental in Cabo San Lucas

Mar 17th, 2019, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

airport transfer vs car rental in Cabo San Lucas

We are a family of 5 traveling to Cabo this week. It will cost us around $200 for airport transfer shuttles to/from our hotel. I looked into a rental car and they quoted $60 for the week. That sounds too good to be true. I have heard stories of extra charges, insurance fees when you pick up your rental car in Mexico and concerns about theft. Does anyone have any experience or advice? I don't think we would use the rental car for more than getting to and from the airport. TIA
Mar 17th, 2019, 08:58 AM

If you are only using the car to and from the airport, I'd go with a shuttle. Why stress? If that $200 is for everyone and round trip that's only $20 pp per ride and the airport at Los Cabos is a distance from either of the towns or the "Corridor".

If you wanted the car to move 5 people around during the trip, yes you need to carefully check out the rental car options because it's not $60/week

good luck have a great trip!
Mar 17th, 2019, 11:53 AM

That $60 per week will not include the mandatory liability insurance you will need. You also will want CDW insurance. Some people will use their credit card insurance to cover this, but you will have to pay before you leave the country for any damage so hopefully you have a fairly high limit card if you plan to go this route. Personally I am risk averse so take the CDW from the rental company.
Not current on Cabo rental car prices but in the Riviera Maya I normally pay $40-45 per day for a small sedan.
Mar 17th, 2019, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for replies!