christmas in Canada

Jul 29th, 2004, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

christmas in Canada

Am I going crazy or is there an area that is completely devoted to Christmas in Canada? I remember reading it in a travel magazine, but I can't remember where it was. Please help!!
Jul 29th, 2004, 05:46 AM

I'm from Toronto and I've never heard of one. My Mom use to go every year to Frankenmouth but it's somewhere in the States.
Jul 29th, 2004, 06:36 AM
BAK

Not that I've ever heard of, but, for instance, Niagara on the Lake (near Niagara Falls) is a small town devoted to tourism, and all the shops have Christmas decorations, there's at least one Christmas speciality shop, and chances are very good that the town has carollers walking the streets. there are lots of Christmas lights along the main street, too.

But it's not Christmas-all-year anywhere I know of.

BAK
Jul 29th, 2004, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

As I recall, it wasn't an all year thing. But during the holidays, it is completely decked out. Like I said before, I'm probably going crazy.
Jul 29th, 2004, 08:39 AM

Could you be thinking of Leavenworth, in Washington state? It's a destination at that time of year - all decked out, eveidently really something to see.
Jul 29th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

No, it was definitely Canada. Thanks for all of your help anyway.
Jul 29th, 2004, 11:59 AM

Does Kimberly BC go all for Christmas? I know it's got a Bavarian theme....
Jul 29th, 2004, 01:25 PM

Taggie,

I was thinking about Kimberley too...their gusto for the whole Bavarian theme makes me think that maybe they'd be heavily into Christmas as well.

Cheers!
Jul 29th, 2004, 04:26 PM

Hi Vorkuta - great minds etc....

I googled Kimberly BC and Christmas and didn't get much. Now I'm kind of obsessed with this. I've tried googling various word combos to try and find out where this special Christmas place might be - all to no avail. Every place seems to have special Christmas events - just couldn't find any reference to one specific town that really goes all out and is a destination.
Jul 30th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

OK, another question:

Where would you go, if you were a tourist, to get into the christmas spirit? Maybe that will help with more ideas.
Jul 30th, 2004, 10:10 AM

Well now, for me Christmas suggests mountains and snow. Living as I do in British Columbia, I'd be tempted to spend Christmas in Nelson (one of my favourites towns in the Kootenays).

I've got a hankering to visit the Atlantic provinces, and think Christmas in Newfoundland must be pretty remarkable, given what I understand to be their zest for good music and socializing and life in general.

I'd love to hear other posters' ideas about where to spend Christmas in Canada. Unfortunately my own city (Vancouver) is usually mild and wet throughout December. I can't really recommend it except as a launching pad for a trip to Nelson...
Jul 30th, 2004, 12:35 PM

I would also spend Christmas in Nelson. Or Quebec City.
Jul 30th, 2004, 01:05 PM
BAK

Niagara on the Lake, as mentioned earlier. St. Jacob's, probably, near Kitchener, but only for an afternoon.

Downtown Toronto is pretty Christmassy, especially around nathan Philips Square in front of City hall, but often there's no snow. Which makes Montreal a better bet.

Ottawa has snow (usually), lots of lights, government supported Christmas stuff, and a good downtown shopping mall.

BAK
Jul 30th, 2004, 10:54 PM

Montreal is positively gorgeous at Christmas time.
Jul 31st, 2004, 07:24 PM

hands down, no question ...Whistler. It is a magical place at Christmas, and we always get a beautiful snowfall on Christmas eve . Cheers, Al