Search

Chilcotin, BC - any input?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chilcotin, BC - any input?

Hi all

My research is leading me to want to explore this area. It's rather desolate and the photos I've seen are simply stunning. I am considering doing a horse trekking tour through Hidden Trails.

I see so very little about Chilcotin here on this board - don't be shy! If you have visited there or have any tips, fire away!

As an alternative, I'm also contemplating seeing it by plane - has anyone hired a plane out there?

thanks...
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 12:21 PM

Sorry, I haven't been in the area enough to be of much use, and I tend to like more arid, less treed regions such as the Okanagan, even to around the Douglas Lake Ranch. That aside, do you mean chartering an airplane or renting one and flying it yourself?

My husband says it was fairly common for pilots to fly from Abbotsford to 108 Mile House. Here is a website of airports if that is of any help:
http://www.aircraft-charter-world.co...shcolumbia.htm

And here are some fun flights from the island that might be worth considering too:
http://www.flyvfc.com/about-vfc/local.htm
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 03:33 PM

I've rafted the Chilco-Chilcotin from Chilco Lake down to the Fraser-a wild old ride!
Yes it is a '<i>wild and faraway place</i>' but not overly so-a day's travel from Vancouver will take you there.
<b>Horseback</b>?
Excellent idea-no better way to see the country/meet the few people who do live there.Lots to see, towering mountains, roaring rivers, shining lakes, forests old and mysterious, hoodoos looming and all kinds of wildlife.
<b>Flying</b>?
Well I flew over once and didn't see nearly as much as I did rafting/hiking.

BTW-The Chilcotin country could be said to be '<i>desolate</i>' only in as far as there are few people living there.
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 04:52 PM

Off the cuff, I think I'd rather fly over the Gulf Islands, Mt. Baker, that sort of thing.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 02:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you April!

Dual for sure, although I do plan to have my PPL by then mountain flying is a whole nother animal. and seaplanes are a whole nother rating. although getting some instruction in seaplane driving would be fun huh?

besides, who will hold the yoke while I am snapping the pictures?

thank you for the links!

Sam, thank you as well! I'm sorry, I only meant desolate as in &quot;devoid of inhabitants&quot; nothing more nothing less. It looks MAGNIFICENT out there and I find myself asking &quot;where have you been all my life&quot;.

thank you again! will report back with any findings.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 10:03 AM

There are a lot of mountains in these parts! If you're still considering Vancouver Island, the float plane trips between Vancouver and Victoria are very scenic (about $100) although they changed the route a while back and I'm not sure that it's quite as scenic. You wouldn't get to fly the plane though.
http://www.westcoastair.com/
http://www.harbour-air.com/

Or you could fly a bit when not taking pictures if you rent through the flying club. We did this last week in a 172 (sightseeing trip with a pilot/instructor) and it cost about $100 for half an hour. I think an hour might be around $160 but don't quote me.