Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Chester, Nova Scotia: Should we stay @ a Halifax Airport hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2010, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have to be in Chester, Nova Scotia for one Saturday in September. We will be flying into Halifax on the Friday night before and departing the Sunday morning after. We do not want to have to rent a car and drive to Chester from the Halifax airport. We are averse to driving for a variety of reasons. Also, we do not want to stay in a B & B type of place in Chester. So, unless you can recommend a hotel in Chester, then we are thinking of flying into Halifax on Friday, staying @ The Hilton @ the Halifax airport for Friday night, taking a taxi/limo to Chester the following (Saturday) and then taking a taxi /limo back to The Airport Hilton on Saturday night. Then fly out the next morning (Sunday).
Is this doable?
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 02:59 PM
BAK

It just seems a shame to skip sp much great territory, but if you're happy wasting whatever time there is Friday after you arrive, hanging around an airport hotel, and happy wasting whatever time there is Sunday morning before the plane takes off, it's hard to argue with your plan.

If it was me and nothing in Chester met my standards, I'd at least go into Halifax on Friday so I could enjoy the city. I'd stay near the waterfront, eat in a good restaurant thre, and then go to Chester Saturday, and then, depending on plane departure time on Sunday, go from Chester back to Halifax or all the way to some airport hotel.

BAK
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 03:03 PM
BAK

Years ago, I stayed in Chester at the Sword and Anchor, and still remember it as a good place.

Eight rooms, with bath, so much more like a small hotel than just having the guest room in a private house.

BAK
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Arriving late Friday night & flying back early Sunday morning.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Anybody?
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 05:55 AM
BAK

What's left to say>

You arrive late Friday, so there's nothng to do after you get to Chester, or after you go into Halifax.

You leave early Sunday, so there's no tome to do anything in either Chester or Halifax.

You refuse to stay anywhere other than a "real" hotel. There's several of these near the airport.

So you might as well take one taxi to the event and one taxi back, Airport - Chestr - Airport -- instead of one to Halifax only to sleep and another to Chester and another back to Halifax and another back to the airport.

It's easy enough to get transport from the airport area to Chester, but make sure you make arrangements in advance to get back from Chester to the airport in the evening.

I doubt there's a limo company in Chester just waiting for your call, but you could probably make all the arrangements you need in the airport when you arrive Friday evening.

BAK
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

You don't have to be so rude. I don't expect that there is a "limo company in Chester waiting for" my call.
And, I don't refuse to stay in places other than "real" hotels.
You have an edge about you & it bugs me. It's not what you say but how you say it.
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 04:40 PM

OceanBreeze, I think BAK is trying to tell you how isolated it can be travelling to rural areas in NS. I would certainly check with taxi companies on the cost of a ride to Chester - not sure it is even economical but if the only way you can get there,I would certainly make arrangements ahead of time. Chester would be almost an hour from the airport. Not sure who would be able to make the return trip if the taxi that took you left - again, would do some research with the cab companies who can probably help you. Unfortunately, NS doesn't have the best public transport system in place and it does make it difficult for tourists trying to get from one destination to another without a car. By the way, the Hilton is a lovely spot to stay!

If you need assistance in finding a cab company, please advise.
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Tanya.
That would be great if you had some cab company information.
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 11:58 AM

I have tried many times unsuccessfully to find accommodation other than a B & B in Chester. There is a motel, called the Windjammer, just outside of Chester but cannot give you a recommendation as I have never stayed there. I agree with Tanya that the Airport Garden Hilton is very nice. There is a new Holiday Inn Express at Halifax airport as well.

For Limo service I have used Wood's Limo from Halifax airport to the Annapolis Valley but their website says transfers to any point in N.S. http://www.halifaxairportlimoservice...t-service.html
Here is a list of taxi services that pre-arrange transportation. Very few have toll free numbers but some have email addresses.
http://www.hiaa.ca/images/pdf_files/...ber%202009.pdf
Chester is a charming town and I hope you enjoy your day there.
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much Scotia for the limo/taxi info & for your good wishes.

Ocean
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 04:26 AM

OceanBreeze ... I have been dealing with Barter Taxi for many, many years to get to and from the Halifax Airport. Although they are on not on that list published by the airport authority, they have always been reliable.

You can contact them this way: Bill Cunningham at 902 471-1631 or through [email protected]

I used to sail at Chester during race week. Nice place, great sailing.

Anselm
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Anselm!
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 04:16 PM

try hotshots limousine and tours there the best in halifax call john 209 1413
chris
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

cdjaii....is that 902 area code? for 209-1413....
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 06:35 PM
BAK

Rude? Me?

As I read all your messages, I was left with the feeling that you do not own a map.

And, being mapless, it seemed to me that you might not appreciate the distances involved, the back roads involved, the small town, relaxed nature of rural NS, so it seemed like a good idea to nudge you toward the idea of making round trip plans from the airport.

I've driven from Chester to the Halifax airport. It's a long way.
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 05:20 PM

sorry yes it is 902 209-1413 it is about an hours ride google map.little longer along the water route but worth while if you have the time.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 09:33 AM

If you haven't already made your plans yet...there's a nice place near the airport called Inn on the Lake, I know they have a free airport shuttle and it's way nicer than your typical airport hotel.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, SFillmore!