Search

Charlevoix region...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 04:52 AM
SMR
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charlevoix region...

Will be visiting Quebec City in late spring and definitely want to spend a day or two exploring the Charlevoix region. Is it better to stay in Charlevoix or is it feasible to day trip from Quebec City? Can anybody recommend accomodations in Charlevoix? Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 04:31 AM

Charlevoix is feasible as a day trip, allthough once there you will probably regret not staying longer:<BR>Qu&eacute;bec - Baie St-Paul: one hour<BR>Baie St-Paul - La Malbaie (via 362 east): one hour<BR>La Malbaie - Tadoussac: one hour<BR><BR>Accomodations:<BR>La Corbi&egrave;re (Baie St-Paul)<BR>Auberge Cap-au-Corbeaux (Baie St-Paul)<BR><BR>and many other...<BR>
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 05:14 PM

My wife and I were planning to go to Quebec City for 3 nights and Montreal for 2 nights in mid-August. A daytrip to Charlevoix may not be enough time!

Where would you recommend staying in Baie St. Paul or La Malbaie? How much and how frequent are ferry crossings at St. Simeon?

Old Aug 25th, 2003, 09:48 AM

My wife and I returned from a one-day trip to the Charlevoix. We were actually disappointed by the experience there. Perhaps the cloudy weather had something to do with it, but the drive up Route 138 was disappointing with tacky tourist traps on the sides and ugly houses. After La Malbaie, the scenery was more pleasant. We liked the Fairmont Le Manoir Richelieu, but felt that it was not worth the hype - unless you like luxury resorts where you can feel isolated from the world.

We preferred the driving tour around Ile d'Orleans and stopping by the quaint villages of St. Jean and St. Petronille. The artist residences and a meal on the island are well worth your time. If we had to do it again, we would have skipped the Charlevoix altogether and stayed in Quebec City an extra day.

Old Aug 25th, 2003, 10:08 AM

You should have taken Route 362 instead of 138. Much, much more scenic.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 10:14 AM

In Baie St-Paul, I have stayed at La Corbi&egrave;re and Auberge Cap-aux-Corbeaux. They are very close to each other, but Auberge Cap-aux-Corbeaux offers a spectacular view. Both are very nice, about 5 minutes outside of town.

See:
www.cap-aux-corbeaux.com
www.lacorbiere.com
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 11:08 AM

We spent 2 nights in this area 2 weeks ago, and thought it was quite beautiful. We stayed in the small town of St. Irenee. Our favorite towns were Tadousec (saw whales from the lookout), and Cap Agile.There is a small road in Cap Agile that goes upland through some beautiful farmland, with some wondeful views. We found the town of Baie St. Paul to be fun, but a bit more touristy than we expected. Bicycling on Isle aux Caudres (sp?) was very relaxing and beautiful.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 04:50 PM
Tami

My husband &amp; I vacationed in Quebec last year and &quot;LOVED&quot; the Charlevoix region. We flew into Quebec City and then drove up to La Malbaie and stayed 3 nights at the Fairmont Le Manoir Richelieu. It was quite beautiful although the next time we go we would probally stay at another place. A bit &quot;stuffy&quot;. We took Rt. 138 and then went on Rt. 362 when we reached Baie Saint Paul. The drive is absolutely breath taking! Zootsi is right-you MUST go to Tadoussac. A fery takes your car over. It was a misty foggy Fall day and I was just imagining how the fisherman work. We took one of the Croisieres &quot;baleine&quot; tours and saw at least 20 minkie (spelling?) whales and 1 white BELUGA! Then they take you down the Saguenay Fjord and you will be in awe! Learn from my mistake-everyone told me to take a warm coat. I took a sweater. I paid premium price for a polar fleece jacket on the ship's gift shop! The air temperture changes at least 15 degrees once you are out on that St. Lawrence seaway!

Isle aux Coudres is reachable by a ferry. We went there and had lunch at the most quaint white house where the waitresses were dressed in mid-calf black dresses with crisp white aprons. The food was fantastic. I wish I could remember the name. It is on the west or south side of the island. Only a few shops. But I bought the BEST homemade goats milk soap at one of the Museums there. This is a simple isle. Quaint and reminiscent of an era gone by in the States.

While in Baie Saint Paul we admired a painting on the wall of a restaurant. The waiter told us the artist lived back up the road on Rt. 362. So we drove up there and found his modest home with his art advertisement outside. He was most gracious and invited us into his studio where we purchased a print of the painting we saw and another painting. He then proceeded to sign and wrap them up for our flight back.

I could go on and on. I love Quebec City and the Charlevoix area. I must admit I got most of my tips from Louis P. on this site! You can read his comments to me in the August or September/2002 replies. He gave me a wonderful itinerary. Have a great trip!

Old Aug 27th, 2003, 07:01 AM

Tami: I discovered a new jewel this year: the backroads in the area generally between Les &Eacute;boulements and St-Urbain. This area is a kind of rolling plateau with absolutely beautiful views of the Laurentians and the Gouffre River. Get a detailed map of Charlevoix a drive around the back country &quot;rangs&quot;, you will be amazed! I discovered the area by taking a kind of &quot;nature tour&quot; that leaves from Baie St-Paul and loops around the back country. The guide was very knowledgeable about the flora and geology of the region (did you know that the entire area between Baie St-Paul and La Malbaie is an ancient meteor crater? The plateau is the bottom of it and Mont Les &Eacute;boulements is its central peak). Can't wait to go back to Charlevoix again!
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 04:39 PM
Tami

Louis: You are the best! Well, I hate to tell you this, since you are missing the Charlevoix area, BUT we are going back next month!!! We are actually staying in Maine for 3 days then driving up to Quebec City, for 4 more days, because we fell inlove with the area. I have printed out your new suggestions out as I was DEFINATELY please with all the suggestions you gave last year to me! THANK YOU-THANK YOU! Yes, I read about the 15-billion ton meteorite that hit that area 350 million years ago!!! I also like the history of the name La Malbaie. Samuel de Champlain, in 1608, spent the night there unaware that the bay ran completely dry at low tide. In the morning when he wanted to leave he cried, &quot;Ah! la malle baye! (Oh, what a bad bay!) AND when we we there last year the bay still runs completely dry in the morning! I always tried to imagine this explorer's dismay. Where can we find out about this tour of the back roads in Baie St. Paul? Also, we never got to go to Ile d'Orleans. Any suggestions there? And one more thing (sorry this is so long), any places between driving from Maine to Quebec City that would be worth visiting? Thank you for your time and expertise!

Old Aug 28th, 2003, 04:31 AM

Tami: The tours start at &quot;Randonn&eacute;es Nature&quot; on St-Jean-Baptiste street. The office/gift shop is just past the &quot;St-Pub&quot;. They have a web site:
http://charlevoix.net/rando/rando_anglais.htm

It's been a long time since I have been to Ile d'Orl&eacute;ans. We're always in too much of a rush to get to Baie St-Paul. I think the best is to drive around the island, enjoy the scenery and see some of the old churches and many art &amp; food shops. In the area, the Ste-Anne Canyon is also worth seeing.

Between Maine &amp; Quebec City: If you're coming by Route 173, you'll be driving through the Beauce region, along the Chaudi&egrave;re River. (This is the route that Benedict Arnold took, before he turned his coat, during the ill-fated attempt by American troops to take Quebec City from the British).

Route 173 offers some nice vistas. The huge church in St-Georges is quite impressive. The area around Vall&eacute;e-Jonction is particularly nice. Also, if you have the time, a side-drive on Route 108 from Beauceville to La Guadeloupe offers some rather nice scenery.

Have a good trip!
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Tami

Louis:
Merci!I'll post our trip when we get back!
Tami