Cape Split, NS in March???

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 04:37 PM
Me

Cape Split, NS in March???

Hi,

It is my interest to view the Fundy tides from Cape Split one day in late March. I am aware that a trip to the end of the cape involves a 2 hour walk from wherever you park.

I'd like to hear from those who have been there just what I might be getting myself into as far as wind, temperature, and the threat of rain or even snow.

I can check online to see the average temperatures but what have been the experiences of those who have actually hiked that trail in March or April?

Thank you kindly,

[email protected]

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Me 2

Hi "Me"
I haven't done the trail in March, but even in July it was pretty windy. I personally would recommend a "wait and see" attitude. Maybe you'll luck out and get a very warm day, but plan for an alternative activity.

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 12:05 PM
thor

Me: Like previous poster, I did this hike in July, and even then it was muddy underfoot, for part of the trip. Wind probably would not be a problem until you got to the end because so much of the hike is under a forest canopy. However, if it was windy, it could be a pretty interesting experience on the exposed cliffs at the end. To me the fun of the hike was to admire the tidal action at the end of the hike. It won't be as enjoyable doing this if you are battling the elements yourself. I lived in Wolfville for 10 years, and, generally speaking, March can bring some pretty nasty weather. Best time for doing this hike would be summer or fall.

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 04:52 PM
Susannah

Nova Scotia has had tons & tons & tons of snow this winter! And, it ain't over!
They often get snow in late March. I was there last year in late March/early April & they had a lot of snow @ that time. I do not think late March wld. be the opportune time for your hike but if you are going to be there anyway then what the heck? You may luck out!

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 08:18 PM
Me

Thank you for your kind replies. I am already scheduled to be there near the end of March and the tides are expected to be near their best while I'm there.

I was glad to re-read one person's reply about the forest as that seems to make me a bit more game for the adventure. At least I wouldn't be exposed to the elements all the way.

Certainly I will play it by ear when there but I still hope to make the trek out near the end. Anyone else have any experience or advice on that idea?

Thank you again.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 06:39 AM
Me2

After rereading the other responses, I realized that I was thinking of and describing an entirely different hike! I did do the Cape split hike though, also in July. No, you won't be exposed to wind until the end, but I agree that March is not the optimal time to hike it. But you may luck out! Another, easier way to experience the tides, is to take the scenic drive to Hall's Harbour, going north, between Wolfville Kentville. This will take you to a lobster pound {if it's open, you can choose your own lobster to eat dockside} right on the water where you can watch the tide change and observe the boat's "stranded" all around you. Along the way, you will pass other such areas, with miles of exposed ocean bottom. If you do this, you might want to get your hands on a tides table. We didn't, just took our chances - so the tides were neither at their lowest or highest, but were still plenty dramatic. Whichever way you decide to do it, have a great time!

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Thor

Me: Re Me 2's reply. I agree that you will see a tidal effect in Hall's Harbour, but it doesen't rate as highly as what you would see at Cape Split. At Cape Split, for one thing you are up high so you get more of a bird's eye view. Secondly, you see the full tidal surge, as the water exits or enters Minas Basin from the Bay of Fundy. At Hall's Harbour you get more of what I call the bathtub effect; you see the water fill up, and then empty from the harbour. Cape Split is much more dramatic. However, if the weather, or the trail conditions are against you, Hall's Harbour, or any of the communities on the Bay of Fundy, will give you some appreciation of the Fundy tides.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Dave

Where exactly is Cape Split? We will be in NS next summer & Cape Split sounds like something that our kids would love.
Can someone pls. tell me how to get there so we can add it to our list of things to see. Thanks!

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 03:53 PM
Me (again?)

Hi Dave,

Although I will know considerably more about Cape Split in 6 weeks, I can tell you now that I have been studying the area here online for the last couple of hours.

If you look at a map of Nova Scotia and find Wolfville or Kentville and then draw a line due north to the little "point" that sticks out into the middle of the Bay of Fundy/Minas Channel/Minas Basin you would find "Cape Split" at the very end of it.

You drive by car and then walk on what SOUNDS like a very do-able trail albeit for a couple of hours one way.

There are strategic times for taking this trip as you want it to coincide with the tides. Some reports tell me that you want to be actually near the tip midway between low and high tides as that is the point where the flow of water is heaviest. Other reports say you want to be walking through the forest area along the trail when the sounds of rushing water fill the air.

Additional parameters are that tides are at their most awesome just after a full moon, AND ideally you want to be there near to "Lunar Perigee" (this is when the Moon travels nearest the earth and exerts the most influence on tides). Note that Lunar Perigee is NOT "full moon".

I read this: "Perhaps the most awesome display of the tides on our planet occurs at Cape Split, NS... at the time of the mid-point of an incoming tide, for a considerable distance the forest on the towering cliffs is filled with a hollow roar produced by the turbulence of the waters surging over the submarine ridges below."

Finally, it is called "Cape Split" because, at low tide, you can go to the beach below and walk out to the extreme 'tip' of the cape BUT, if you don't heed the tide tables and times carefully you could indeed be TRAPPED on this TINY spot of land for 6 hours or so.

(note: I don't suppose that most human visitors attempt to go to the actual 'tip' I just described)

hope this helps...

There is mucho information online to help you where I can't.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 04:28 PM
Me2

Re Thor's response,
I had no idea that the tides at Cape Split are so dramatic! When my husband and I hiked it a couple of years ago, we enjoyed it for it's scenery, but weren't aware of its dramatic tidal displays, so never even consulted a tide table. We have to go back! Thanks, Thor!

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 07:44 AM
Thor

Dave: Assuming you are in the Wofville area, you head west out of town, and turn off North on to road to Port Williams. Follow the signs to Canning, and then up to the look off which is on an escaprpment, ( Blomindon ), looking back over the Annapolis Valley. It is a great view of the Valley, and Minas Basin. If you are there in the summer, my wife swears she had the best ice cream of her life from the takeout at the look off site. From the look off, you follow the signs to Scott Bay, which you will soon see. Basically, you just keep driving to the end of this road, and you will end up in a parking area near a small harbour. This is where the Cape Split trail begins. Make sure you follow Me's advice. He/she has obviously done his/her research on the tides, and, as she states, you want to see the water either flowing into or out of the basin. A full moon would help to maximize the effect. That is when it is most dramatic. It helps if it is a nice warm sunny day, because then you will be able to have a picnic, stretch out on the grass, and enjoy this awesome natural spectacle. The hike itself is through fairly thick forest, with limited views on the way. It can be slippery underfoot, so make sure you wear hiking boots. Have fun everybody.