Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can I see Montreal and Quebec City using only public transportation, or would it be better to rent a car?

Search

Can I see Montreal and Quebec City using only public transportation, or would it be better to rent a car?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2006, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

Three of us are going to Montreal in May for 5 days. I am considering shortening our trip to Montreal to 3 days, and add Quebec City for 2 days. Is it easy enough to get from Montreal and Quebec City through the train, or is a car better? How is public transportation in Quebec City?

Thanks for any input!
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 05:50 AM

Check the times of trains from Montreal to Quebec at www.viarail.ca.

Quebec has good public transport - but if you stay near or in the old town, you won't need it much as it's very walkable.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 05:51 AM

I just returned from Montreal. All the major tourist areas are within walking distance of each other, and everything else accessible by bus and metro. if you want to go outside the city-that someone else will have to answer. We had two days as you can see from my report-would have liked three.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 06:42 AM

Dfotravels,

1) It's easy enough by train or bus (3 hrs), buses are quite frequent (close to hourly) between QC and Mtl, I think there are maybe 5 trains a day btwn. Mtl & QC, but you'd have to look that up.

2) Car would give you more flexibility, but not necessary for a great visit. I don't even own one in Montreal (nor do many of my friends here) and visited a friend in QC regularly who didn't either.... Public transit is quite good and extensive here, especially by North American standards.

Enjoy whatever you decide!
DAN

Old Mar 30th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your responses. I think based on what you have stated, I'll NOT rent a car for this trip. A car can be an expense and a hassle in a big city. We will bus, train and subway it for this trip. Thanks!

dfotravels
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 05:15 PM

In addition to all of the obvious convenience, I would opt for the car just so you can take the highway nearest the north shore of the St. Lawrence River between Montreal and Quebec City. Those small towns are so pleasant and it is nice to appreciate small-town life in such an area.

Furthermore, Quebec City has some hills to it, and a car would certainly come in handy.

At least compare your fares for three people and figure out how much extra the car will run you.