Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do I need a car in either Quebec or Montreal?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2003, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a visit to Quebec and Montreal for 7 days in July. I don't want to drive at all. Is that possible? I will begin my trip in Quebec (will fly there from the Southeast) and hopefully take a train to Montreal. I read some articles about both cities (Montreal was compared to Vienna and Quebec to France) and was under the impression that I can visit for 7 days without a car. Am I under the wrong impression?
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 07:12 AM

The one time that we combined the trips, we drove to Canada, so we had a car. You do not need a car within Old Quebec nor do you need the car within Montreal city.<BR>We always drive in, we always leave the car in the hotel parking lot and don't take it out again until we leave.<BR>Once, in August, we drove to Mt Tremblant for the day, so we took the car.<BR>Both cities are great for walking and MOntreal has an excellent Metro system.<BR>I don't know about Vienna, they are both just very French to me.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 07:23 AM

For sure you don't need a car in Montreal. the Metro, (subway), system will get you within easy walking distonce of most major spots and busses are pretty good as well.<BR><BR>In Quebec City if you're staying in the central area most places of interest in the city itself are within short walks but I would rent a car to explore some of the countryside or if you really don't want to drive take a bus tour because it's very much worth it.<BR><BR>By the way - I have never thought of Montreal as like Vienna. Montreal is a combination of European attitude with North American infrastructure. Other than the area of Old Montreal it's a pretty modern looking city. Quebec City is definately French but certainly not Parisian French. In fact Quebec is very unique on it's own and comparing the Province of Quebec to France because the language is French is no more valid than comparing the US to England because the language is English.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 08:07 AM

I live in Montreal and visit a good friend of mine fairly often in Quebec and don't own a car. By North American standards, both cities have excellent public transportation and there will be plenty to keep you busy for 7 days, all within reach using public transport or on foot.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

I am so happy to hear that I can get around without a car. I hate driving but it's a must here in the States. I am a bit bummed to hear Montreal is not like Vienna. I lived in Vienna for four months and thought it was the most breathtaking, cultured city I had ever visited. However, I look forward to visiting Montreal and Quebec and finding out for myself what treasures these two places hold. Thanks again!
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 02:58 PM

You should not be bummed that MTL is not like Vienna. You go to a city to experience its own charm, not to compare it to other cities. Frankly, I think everyone loves Montreal. The only complaint I have heard is that some people don't understand the French but that is it. We have excellent restaurants, and superb nightlife (check out St Laurent and St Denis streets), good art museums and a great shopping district. You will enjoy yourself. As far as the car thing is concerned, you can easily get around MTL with the Metro which can take you all around the city and its suburbs. If you get a little tired of downtown you may want to head to the Villa Maria Metro for Monkland Streets which is quite trendy and youthful and/or Metro Cote des Neiges, and although the neighborhood looks scuzzy, it is perfectly safe during the day and you can experience some of the &quot;immigrant culture&quot; and good cheap dining.