Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can I rent a car at the Victoria BC ferry terminal?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 11:27 AM
Leah

We will be vacationing in Vancouver in Aug and will take a 2 day side trip to Victoria. We don't plan to rent a car in Vancouver, but I was told it's best to have one in Victoria for ease in seeing the gardens. <BR><BR>I don't want to transport a car on the BC ferry, so my question is whether there are rental car agencies at the Victoria BC terminal (Swartz Bay). If not, what is the easist way to get from there to my B&B (in the Rockland neighborhood of Victoria).<BR><BR>Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 12:10 PM
gary

I don't recall seeing a rental car facility at Swartz Bay. But even if there is the best thing to do would be to take the Pacific Stage Line Bus from Downtown to Downtown. In the same block as the Bus Depot in Downtown Victoria there is at least two car rental agencies where you can get a car and directions to your B & B.<BR><BR>

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 12:14 PM
darlene

Swartz bay has nothing like car rentals, it's merely a port for the ferry, then there is a 1/2 hour drive to Victoria. You'll need bus service to take you to Vic. Depending on how many people are in the car, it may be cheaper in the end to rent the car in Vancouver and take the ferry. You can reserve a spot on the ferry for $15 extra and may be worth it.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 07:39 PM
rand

Gary is having a senior moment...verrry senior moment. (tease tease)<BR>The stage coaches stopped running a loooong time ago. The bus line is Pacific Coach Line, not Pacific Stage Line.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Artemis

Other possibility: if you arrange the car rental in advance, they might bring it to the Victoria ferry terminal for you for a nominal fee. That might be the best option if you want to do Buchart Gardens first (since it's quite close to the ferry).<BR><BR>Or, forget the car in Victoria altogether. Except for the gardens, "doing" Victoria without a car is easier than Vancouver. And there are tons of tour buses that will take you from downtown Victoria to the gardens. Less hassle and cheaper.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 01:09 PM
gary

Senior moment, shmenior moment. Hey I'm going to be 60 this year - that'll be a senior enough moment. Anyhow the bus is still the most economical and problem free way of getting from downtown to downtown and then rent a car when you get to the bus depot in Victoria.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 07:01 PM
April

I also would take the bus to Victoria, and probably just walk across the street from the depot to rent a car, then drive to Rockland.<BR><BR>Rockland is a lovely area, by the way - especially nice for walking. Wander through the Government House grounds while you're there. <BR><BR>Be sure to drive along the waterfront through the Uplands. If you're in Victoria on the evening of the 7th, you could catch the Snowbirds blasting about at Clover Point.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 02:33 PM
M. Connolly

Obviously the previous repliers haven.t rented a car in the Swartz Bay area. First call your favorite car rental company office at the Victoria airport.<BR>(a ten minute cab ride from the ferry terminal). When you get off the Ferry just walk up to the top outside parking area where there will be any number of cabs waiting to wisk you to the airport in about ten mintues.. They wil drop you off outside the car rental desk area and in ten minutes or less you will be on your way down Hwy 17 (with maps) to Victoria. The very easy trip will take about 30 minutes.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Coco

Hi Leah,<BR>The only available car rental service that comes close from Swartz Bay Ferry Terminal, is at the Victoria Airport, which is not very far away. Also, the town of Sydney has a Budget and Thrifty car rental which is also not too far away. Perhaps you could catch a cab to either of these places?

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 04:40 PM
Coco

Adding to my post...Avis and Budget are also at Victoria International Airport.<BR>Good luck.\ Coco

Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We're planning to take the bus from Vancouver to Victoria so we're just wondering which car rental companies are near the bus terminal in Victoria? Can't seem to find that information anywhere despite random google search words. Thanks.
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 02:11 PM

Budget has an office right across from the terminal 250-955-5300
Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 06:27 PM

Four of us are planning to visit Victoria for an overnight stay. We are coming in from Vancouver by the ferry as well. Have you any luck in securing a rental car? Appreciate any update or help. We need only one day car rental on Saturday the 10th.

The main attraction for us is to visit the Butchart Gardens.