Campgrounds around Vancouver Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of 5 (3 teens) who will be making the trek from northern California up to the Vancouver Island area this summer with a tent trailer behind our minivan. Our main objective is a graduation gift to our daughter to go kayaking with the orca whales. We have picked a 5 day adventure with Spirit Of The West....I think. My qustion is, where to camp around Quadra Island, which is the pick up point for the company. I'm looking at Tsa Qwa Luten Lodge, which has a campground on site. Any thoughts? Thanks!!
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 02:54 PM

Hi, We've never camped there but it looks OK. Will they let you leave your vehicle and trailer parked there while your on your trip. We've camped elsewhere on the Island with a tent trailer and 3 teens, Near Victoria the Goldstream campground offers good access to the city. The Pacific Rim national park near Tofino is good too. If you go over to Tofino be sure to take the zodiac boat tour up to hot springs cove. It is very much worth it. Our kids loved it. We went up the sound and then back the outer route where we were fortunate to see grey whales. On the way up to Quadra we also like to camp at Rathtrevor provincial park. It is just outside Parksville. You can have pizza and sushi delivered to your campsite. If you go to www.discovercamping.ca many of BC's campgrounds take reservations. This is highly recommended because Vancouver Island is very popular in the summer
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 09:53 PM

Goldstream is fine if having Pizza delivery is your idea of camping

Tsa Kwa Lute is on Quadra Island and you're at the not-so-tender mercy of BC Ferries in terms of accesing the rest of the Island-plus the smell of the pulp mill can be off-putting.:-&

If you want real Vancouver Island serenity in a place much much closer to the Orcas try http://www.cluxewe.com/ and do a tour out of Port McNeil.

Old Jan 14th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

...the smell of the pulp mill can be off-putting.

SAY WHAT????? I had this idylic image in my head that those words just smashed to smitherings. Strange how none of the beautiful pictures show a stinky pulp mill. They have agreed to let us park our trailer there while kayaking and they have free hot water showers and free laundry, so I'm thinking a clothespin for the nose might do the trick. Thanks for the heads up!
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 08:43 PM

If its any consolation we have stayed at Tsa Kwa Luten mant times and have yet to smell the pulp mill. Its a beautiful spot and watching the cruise ships go by so closely it is great. I say you won't need a clothespin!!!
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 09:10 PM

&quot;<i>If its any consolation we have stayed at Tsa Kwa Luten many times and have yet to smell the pulp mill</i>&quot;

Note the respondent was staying <u>inside the building</u>-sleeping outdoors is another matter altogether.

The pulp mill is north of town right on the water and since prevailing winds are from the north......well you can imagine.:-&amp;

Locals are quite sensitive on the subject-their rationalisations include &quot;<i>that's the smell of money</i>&quot;!, &quot;<i>it never bothers <b>me</b></i>&quot;! and my favourite-&quot;<i>what smell</i>&quot;?-the last generally from Mill workers themselves.

Who knows you may get lucky and never notice it bit to not mention it wouldn't be honest.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 04:46 PM

Sailed to Quadra many a time, and have taken the five-minute or so BC Ferry trip from Campbell River numerous times as well. Quadra can have that pulp mill odour, that's why we stay/anchor mid-island or west. Great island, ordinary people, terrific kayaking/boating/bicycling.

But Port MacNeil area is that much quieter. Easy ferry rides to Sointula and Alert Bay, two wonderful places to visit. Great kayaking/boating as well.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 08:18 PM

Oops, NOT west where the mill is, but east.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 01:37 AM

I agree with the suggestion for Cluxewe resort. The north island /Port McNeill area is one of our favourite parts of Canada.

Jerry