Calgary and Banff NP on a budget with kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family has to travel to Saskatchewan in July for a family gathering and are hoping to add-on a trip to Calgary and Banff and perhaps Glacier National Parks. We figure the drive to be about 9 hours, but worth it to see the parks. We will be on a very tight budget, but don't want to pay baggage fees to bring our camping gear, so are looking for inexpensive places to stay in and around Calgary, Banff, and Glacier. We have two kids, ages 5 and 8. Other suggestions for "must see" spots are appreciated!
Thanks
Old Mar 18th, 2011, 08:49 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Knowing where in Saskatchewan you are coming from might be helpful. Does this involve a rental car, since you mention baggage fees?
The inexpensive place that I know of is the HI Hostel that is about 3 miles SW of Jasper. That is farther north than you probably want to go.
If you go over the Going-to-the-Sun highway in Glacier National Park (Montana) there is a lodge and some cabins by Lake McDonald. Remember your Passports if you want to cross into the US.
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 04:01 AM

http://www.goodsamclub.com/travel/ca...y=Banff%20Natl

Good info here have done it camping cabins and tenting

cheap beautiful and tonnes of fun.

Many bears particuarly Lake Louise/Ice Fields show

them universal respect to have a more BEARable experience.

Have fun I did,
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 08:04 AM

The Lake Louise Hostel is the cheapest that I know of in the Banff area (other than camping).

http://www.hihostels.ca/westerncanad..._Centre.hostel

I thought they used to have "family rooms", but I don't see anything about that on the web page. You could ask them. Otherwise, they have 4 bed dorm rooms with two bunk beds and a private half bath. If you could get one of those just for your family, it's probably your best bet. You definitely need to make reservations and soon.
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 01:17 PM

Accommodations in the Canadian Rockies can be expensive.

There are many good reviews of the Lake Louise Hostel for the summer. I have not stayed there. Ignore reviews you read about stays during the winter when there are many skiiers staying there.

There are also some affordable places in Banff. You can do a quick search on www.kayak.com. You would either choose to stay in Banff, Lake Louise, or even Canmore when visiting this area. Canmore is a little farther away but more affordable

If you take the Icefields Parkway to Jasper, the cottages at Patricia Lake in Jasper are very affordable. We love it there.

I would spend the whole time in the Canadian Rockies and save Glacier for another trip.
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 10:12 PM

Another affordable option in Jasper is "private home accommodation" - rooms or a suite within a resident's home. www.stayinjasper.com Or, there are three "cottage tents" at Whistler's campground, which can be reserved ahead. www.pc.gc.ca is the Parks Canada site.

The Icefields Parkway - a 226 km scenic parkway between Lake Louise and Jasper has been designated by National Geographic magazine as one of "20 Drives of a Lifetime" - the scenery is incredible. www.icefieldsparkway.ca
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 10:12 AM

In Banff, there are 2 great hostels which have family rooms and/or cabins. The Y Mountain Lodge (YWCA)has a great location, close to downtown. The Banff Alpine Centre (hostelling international) has great little cabins, family rooms and communal cooking facilities. Also in Banff, there are a couple of bed and breakfasts which have perfect family-sized rooms. Bighorn Bed and Breakfast is a great alternative, so is Cottage Bed and Breakfast. Rocky Mountain Bed and Breakfast has a big family room as well - slightly higher priced.
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 11:45 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's the link to the HI Hostel- http://www.hihostels.ca/westerncanad..._Centre.hostel
I have stayed at the Hi Hostel closer to Jasper and love it.