Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Better hotel for jazzfest than Crown Plaza?

Mar 24th, 2003, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Last year we stayed at the Crowne Plaza It was a great location for either walking to the Jazzfest or taking the subway---the station was across the street!
Can anyone suggest a better hotel---that is as convenient to Jazzfest, the subway and in the same price range.
We especially liked that it was air conditioned--as the first 4 nights we were in a charming but sweltering B&B
Mar 24th, 2003, 05:59 PM

If the Crowne Plaza was just fine, how can you do "better"?
Mar 24th, 2003, 06:01 PM

As a yearly traveller to the festival,my friends and I truly enjoy the Holiday Inn Select in chinatown. Its a little south of the fetival a 5-10 minute walk at the most. Close to old montreal and chinatown itself is very unique. As far as the hotel it is currently running $149 per night canadian for the festival which is very inexpensive.
Mar 25th, 2003, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

In answer to djkbooks--The Crown Plaza was a refreshing change from the B&B I'm just trying to get a bit closer to the Jazzfest- and maybe nearer to some decent restaurants//take out food places etc.
Mar 25th, 2003, 05:15 AM

To get closer to the Jazzfest, you might consider one of the large chain hotels on Sherbrooke - Holiday Inn, Sheraton, Courtyard, or Delta. They are all about 2 blocks to the action, and are all 3 * hotels. Personally I prefer the neighborhood around the Crowne Plaza for interesting places to eat - St. Denis, Duluth, Prince Arthur, etc.
Mar 25th, 2003, 05:20 AM

The Wyndham at Complexe Desjardins is right next to Place des Arts. You can't get any closer than that.
Mar 25th, 2003, 07:43 AM

I would agree that the Wyndham would be your best choice.
Mar 25th, 2003, 05:14 PM

There would be a problem at the Wyndham since it is already sold out for that weekend.
Mar 25th, 2003, 06:29 PM

If the Wyndham is sold out, I would pick any hotel on Montreal's east side. Try the Hotel des Gouverneurs or the Crowne Plaza.
Mar 25th, 2003, 08:52 PM

Interesting places to eat are really all over. Montreal has a wealth of great restaurants.
Mar 26th, 2003, 02:39 PM

The Wyndham is the official hotel of the Jazz Festival, and a little too close to the heart of the scene for me (mobs right up to the front door, scent of marijuana heavy in the air). The Delta on Pres. Kennedy is also very close, and nearly all the rooms have balconies, so you can step outside and hear music late in the evening. Aside from the possibly obnoxious smoke in the air, the Jazz Festival is really a wonderful street scene, and enjoyable for the whole family. It is also fabulous value for a first-class musical event.
Mar 26th, 2003, 06:15 PM

Pretty much every hotel in downtown Montreal is within walking distance. You just walk east along Ste Catherine and then you are there. Also, you can get on the metro and take the orange line; it is very fast and efficient. The Courtyard, Holiday inn Select, Four Points hotels are all on Sherbrooke closest to the event. The Delta Montreal would also be a good pick.