Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best way to get to downtown Toronto from airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2003, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the best/easiest way to get from YYZ Toronto Int'l Airport to downtown (Union Station)? Some sort of shuttle, public transportation (if available, please explain), or taxi? Thanks for any information you might have.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 02:18 PM

The best answer is a very personal thing. The least expensive is TTC, regular city transit. Details at ttc.ca It's an express bus (low floor) to the westernmost subway station, Kipling. You will need exact cash fare or $2.25, or a token or ticket. There is an elevator at Kipling and at St. George where you would change trains as well as at Union if you have a lot of luggage. I have used it a few times and it works quite well.

For taxi fare go to the airport website gtaa.com and click getting here.

There is an airport bus that is between in cost and convinience. I am sure that those who know will post details.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 03:22 PM

Hi there,

I've always taken a taxi from the airport to downtown. The taxis line up in front of the Terminal exit (Terminals 2 and 3 definitely; I've never exited Terminal 1). The driver will ask you where you're going and then give you a flat rate - it should be roughly $30 - $35.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 05:13 PM
BAK

The reasonable ways are taxi, limo, or Airport Express big, comfortable, bus.

Taxi and limo are very close in price, about $30-35 as mentioned above.

For one person, you culd save money by taking the Airport Express bus, for $15.
http://www.torontoairportexpress.com...own-fares.html
But if there are two of you, take a limo (regular Linciln towncars, not stretched)

The bus takes you to the Fairmont Royal York Hotel, which is right across the street from Union Station.

It will take at least twice as long to take the regular city bus and subway service, but will only be $2.25. Luggage might be a pain, though.

BAK
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys. I think we'll either do regular city transit or a taxi/limo depending on our energy level when we arrive. It's nice to have both options figured out beforehand. Good point about it not being worth to take the bus if there's more than one of us. Thanks!
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 05:20 PM
MD

For $12.50 (Canadian) take the Airport Express, it's like a greyhound bus and does a tour of the main hotels in downtown Toronto, less than 30 minutes.

The TTC transit will take over 90 minutes I bet, costs an extra fare since you get on outside city limits. Surface bus on city streets is painfully slow!

Alternative suggestions are to see if there's an Airport express bus to the YORKDALE subway station (See subways at Metropla.net) or YORK MILLS subway, and from there downtown or wherever.

A Taxi will cost $C 40 or so to downtown.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 05:20 PM
MD

The airport express goes by union station (the Royal York hotel).
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 06:03 PM

There is in fact a GO Transit bus from the airport to the Yorkdale and York Mills subway stations. The bus is $3.50 and it's an easy (indoor) connection to the subway. If your hotel is on the west side of downtown, take the bus to the Yorkdale station. If it's on the east side of downtown, take it to York Mills.