Search

Canadian Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canadian Road Trip

Hi,

I'll be driving from Toronto to Ottawa and then on to Montreal in a few weeks. I've never been to this part of Canada and would love to know what folks on this list consider interesting stops outside of the cities. My schedule is somewhat set at the beginning, so I have to leave Toronto in the morning and be in Ottawa the same evening, but I have much more flexibility after than.

Thank you for your suggestions!
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 04:20 PM

When you drive to Ottawa from Toronto, take the Thousand Island Parkway at Gananoque to the 416. It's so much prettier than the 401.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Lolly. About how much time do you think that will add to the trip?
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Syv

Ottawa is an easy day's drive from Toronto no matter which way you go. Folks do it in 4 - 7 hours depending.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 05:59 PM

Sarah -

I recommend stopping in Kingston for lunch. Kingston is about 3 hrs east of TO on the 401 - great timing for lunch or just a walk to stretch your legs. My recommendation is for lunch on the patio at Chez Piggy or just head downtown and stroll around to find another alternative. Kingston is a beautiful city with a lively main street and sits on the waterfront of Lake Ontario. There is lots to see in Kingston - it was originally Canada's capital before the government was moved to Ottawa in the 19th century.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 04:09 AM

Hi Sarah,
Toronto to Ottawa is about a 5 hour drive. I don't think the Parkway made us too much later. You can also get off of the Parkway and back onto the 401 at several different spots along the way as they run parallel. I would second the lunch in Kingston. I have never eaten at Chez Piggy but have heard great things about it over the years.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 06:07 PM

Toronto to Ottawa is four hours tops. You have plenty of time to stop at the 100 Islands and take a boat cruise, these can be as short as one hour. This is pretty much the only worthwhile stop, the rest is mostly flat farmland.

Ottawa's not the most interesting city but the Bytown Market area is really worthwhile. Spend less time in ottawa and more in Montreal, a far more interesting cosmopolitan city.

It would be a crime to visit this part of the country and miss Quebec City, possibly the most beautiful city in North America. It's a little over two hours drive from Montreal. A side trip to St. Sauveur in the Laurentian hills 40 minutes north of Montreal is also worth your while.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

This is wonderful advice everyone, thank you. Raleigh -- you make me wish I was staying longer! I will stay longer in Montreal and will try to make the most of all of my stops.