Been to Stratford (ON) Recently?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2016, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am visiting Stratford for the first time, and wondered if you have been there recently & have an opinion on an upscale hotel there? The Fodors posts on this topic are ancient. My husband travels a lot for work & is used to very nice hotels with all the amenities plus room service. Am considering Foster's Inn, as it is centrally located & I read a favorable comment on TripAdvisor.
If you care to also recommend a favorite restaurant there, that would be great. Thanks!
Old May 2nd, 2016, 05:34 AM

We stayed at the Bruce Hotel last Fall. It was very nice and in a convenient location. The dining room was good although a little formal. Service was friendly.

http://www.thebruce.ca

There's a nice cafe with local cheeses and charcuterie

http://www.monfortedairy.com

We also enjoy lunch at this restaurant (downstairs for pizza. Haven't tried upstairs)

https://www.pazzo.ca
Old May 2nd, 2016, 09:00 AM

I haven't stayed there, but based on friends' experiences, I would certainly choose the Bruce Hotel over Foster's as an upscale choice.

There are many fine restaurants in Stratford in all price ranges. If cost is not a factor, it's hard to beat Rundles where the food and ambience are superb. The Prune is also very good as well.

For something less expensive, I often enjoyed Keystone Alley, However, I understand that the long-time owners are selling it, and may have done so already. Whether it continues as before is hard to say.

An inexpensive restaurant where I have eaten several times is Stratford Thai--their cuisine is first class.

For any decent restaurant you really must reserve if you want a table before the show. However, if you don't have an evening performance, you can have a nice leisurely meal if you book later.
Old Aug 9th, 2016, 10:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks much for your feedback laverndrye & Elizabeth_s. We'll definitely visit Monforte & probably Pazzo. Also wondering whether anyone has an opinion on the merits of Rene's Bistro, Bijou, the Prune or Revival House?
Old Aug 10th, 2016, 02:55 AM

We used to eat at Bijou often then closed - I hadn't realized it has reopened. Getting good TA reviews so we'll try it - thx!