Bay De Verde adventure

Search

Bay De Verde adventure

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2006, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bay De Verde adventure

Hi, I am in the process of buying a property in Bay De Verde, the tip of the peninsula of Conception Bay. I dont really know why or how often i will get there (flights are expensive from U.K) But i am going there at the end of March till the end of April and am hoping that the weather wont be too bad for driving up there.
What i need to know is, are there any points of interest in that area at that time of year.
It seems to me that it is not a touristy area and i am worried that i have baught in the wrong area, but on saying that, i love the country side and am a keen walker, so i know i will be able to walk the coastal routes there.
Does anybody have any advice for a confused person???
singrig
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 12:36 PM

ttt
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Oh dear,I think i've offended.
It wastnt my intention. You wander why we are buying in a place that we hardly know (we've been there once last november)The views are amazing. The house is high up looking down on the outpost.
My partners father was from Trinity bay, he was killed before my partner was born and he has family in Trinity bay(though elderly now) He wants to get a feeling of his roots, but not to stay too close to his Aunt and Uncle (we all need a little space)But not too far away either.
Bay de verde is an ideal location where our family will be able to frequent also.
I just wanted to know whether there are any places of interest that locals may know of, archeological sites, pleasant walks, things like that.
Please accept my appologies for offending, It was not my intention.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 12:40 PM

I really don't believe that you've offended anyone, singrig. Rather, it's just that very few people on this board travel to Newfoundland. I posted a question with regards to Labrador and waited over a year for a response. You may want to click on your screen name occasionally and post a reply to your own post to bring it back up to the top again where more people will see it. That's what I did when I responded to your post the first time by putting <b>'ttt'</b>(to the top) in the post area.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 09:52 AM
LJ

Don't give up, Singrig: I am right here in NL, on the West Coast...although I grew up in St. John's (on the East/Avalon Coast of the province), we lived away for 30 years and have only just moved back...I am going to take a break from my computer now and see what I can find out for you about the area you are moving to, from folks who know more than I do.Keep posted and I will try to respond by tomorrow or the next day. BTW, you are not alone in buying property here: our local apres-ski pub, Sullie's at Humber Valley Resort, Marble Mountain, is jammed with English, Irish and German accents: it feels like home to us!
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 02:17 PM
LJ

Ok, done my homework-I wish I had better news for you weather-wise, but it is still winter where you are going to be living in late March and may still be pretty snowbound even in late April (though less likely by then).

However, my husband and I are out in the deep snow here on the west coast on Newfoundland even now on our snowshoes which you can buy for less than 100 pounds and which are easy to learn to use. For a hiker it is a cinch!

As you may know already, there is an ecological reserve just offshore from where you live and you will, of course, be in time for the icebergs and the fresh crab. The road to Bay de Verde is known as the Baccalieu Trail-that is an old word for dried cod and many of the villages along the way, like Old Perlican and Heart's Content still maintain that old-cod-fishing lifestyle, only switched to ground fish these days. There is much history in the area and it is incredibly picturesque off season.

Further down the coast, you can enjoy the (relative) modernity of Carbonear and Harbour Grace which do cater to tourists with museums of their pirate-royalty past and excellent interpretive centres of the areas fishery, kestrels, foxes and other wildlife

And then there is St. John's itself, only a couple of hours away and a truly beautiful and historically interesting and, increasingly sophisticated tourist destination, with restaurants (Bianca's, Woodstock Colonial Inn) and museums/galleries (The Rooms, Geodesic Centre at Signal Hill) to match. The East Coast Trails Association has wonderful maps of hiking trails in the area.

If you haven't already got it, you might check out the 2006 Travel Guide (www.gov.nl.ca/tourism)which has lots more information and a good magalogue.

We love it here and have no regrets about our decision-good luck to you and your partner.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

Hi LJ
Thankyou so much for the information, the web site is great.I know about the weather (from watching the weather network, which even has a web cam in St Johns) So its lots of waterproofs and woollies! We plan to stay at Bay De Verde for the first and last week, then we are going to head towards you, Just travelling around and staying in cheap accomadation in the middle week. And of course we have lots of family to visit.
I'm getting quite excited now.
Thankyou again.
Singrig
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 12:04 PM
LJ

Well, if you are heading for the west coast of NL, please keep me up to date if Corner Brook is on your itinerary-always pleased to have coffee (known locally as &quot;grabbing a Timmy's&quot with a fellow Fodorite!
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for that, I would be interested in finding out about nice some cheap b&amp; b or inns in that area.
Regards singrig
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 06:52 AM
LJ

Sorry to be so long getting back but you would be surprised how busy life can be in peaceful and serene NL! In any case, I would reccomend Bell's Inn as a good B&amp;B in Corner Brook. Lots to see and do in this area, the doorway to the Western Region.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 08:27 AM

Welcome to Canada!
I am sure that you will love Newfoundland, and you will be able to get around the province without too much difficulty.
Welcome!
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the welcome nospam, and thankyou for the b&amp;b info LJ. I will look that up.
My partner and i are terrible planners so it will be great to gather up info before come to Newfoundland, and then we are probably just going to follow our noses.
The weather doestnt look as if its too bad. (I'm used to rain, living in Wales!)Doestnt seem to be too much snow in Bay De Verde. I guess its a different situation in Gross morne which is where we really want to visit.
Only a few days and we're off on our adventure, we fly on 29th of march.
Thankyou again
singrig
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Having been checking the weather on the weather cam, i am wondering if we will make it up to Sibleys Cove tomorrow.(29th march) Does anybody out there know??
Also with hire cars, are they fitted with snow wheels at this time of year?
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 06:11 AM
LJ

Terrible snowstorm on Avalon Peninsula yesterday (27th); slowed during the night, s/b OK by tomorrow-you should ask your rental company the question re: tires... good luck!
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Thankyou for that. Will ask car rental co when we arrive at St Johns