Reload this Page >

Banff/LL Short trip possible?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 09:05 PM
LindaR

Due to time and budget limits. We have only 3 days 2 nite for the Banff/LL in mid sept. Will that be too rush? any must see site/things to do? We are also thinking of staying one nite at a nice hotel (with view) but the Chateau LL is over CAD 650!!! is there any other recommendation thats less expensive (up to CAD 350)? Any info would help. thanks.<BR><BR>

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 09:50 AM
Frances

Have returned this morning from Lake Louise-it's a lond trip to Manchester \U.K. so please excuse the spelling errors!<BR>The towns of Banff and Lake Louise are disappointing but you soon realise that you go for the countryside and not to visit the towns.We stayed in the Lake Louise Inn for three nights at a cost of 350- but that was in a family suite for four.The town is expensive but I have no quibble at all with the hotel which was very good.<BR>We did all the usual things but the one I would rate the best was the trip on the Gondola to the top of the mountain in L.L.<BR>We ate twice at the L.L. Station- the best meal we had in our two weeks in Canada from Vancouver to L.L.<BR>SO the answer?No, 3 days is enough and I'd recommend the Inn.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 02:35 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Linda, three days and two nights is plenty of time to have a very enjoyable trip. As Frances posted above, the towns of Banff and the immediate vicinity of Lake Louise can be very pricey. Since this kind of a trip is really about seeing the beauty of the Canadian Rockies, I would suggest that after looking over LL and Banff, you take the beautiful drive up to Jasper. It is less expensive and a little more "homespun" in my view; a lovely town with plenty of places to eat. One very friendly place that we used was the Mount Robson Inn:<BR><BR>http://www.mountrobsoninn.com/<BR><BR>There are often elk right in town, but if you drive a half hour to 45 minutes east, we saw a TON of sheep, goat, elk and deer along that road.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 06:35 PM
LindaR

Thanks sooo much for the advice. at least i can plan better!<BR>BTW, will it be ok not to reserve in advance but to do a walk in for inns and hotels?

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 06:58 PM
sillyme

Do enjoy the wildlife while in Banff/LL but also be careful. Elk and moose, even deer can be very aggressive and dangerous if approached too closely. They are fun to watch from a distance but don't get too close. Chances are nothing would happen but you never know. Every year, people are injured by wildlife. <BR><BR>Other than that, you may find that you wish you could stay longer but you can see quite a lot during that time - it will be a bit rushed but make you want to come back! <BR><BR>Depending on when you are going, there are many lovely places that are quite reasonable. Please visit www.discoverbanff.com for some more help/choices on places to stay. <BR><BR>Good luck and have a wonderful time.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 08:46 AM
x

you could check out the post hotel in ll. not sure if it's within your range. while in ll - the station restaurant previously mentioned is VERY good. personally, i'd book the two nights in banff and then drive to ll for a day (taking the slower highway one way and doing johnson's canyon). i'd also stay at the same hotel both nights to avoid the move. you should be able to find plenty of places in your price range. check out douglas fur resort or buffalo mountain lodge.