Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Banff in Autumn -- What's Best Week in September/October Timeframe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have the opportunity to visit Banff for a week in fall of 2005. Available weeks are all throughout September and October. The last time we tried this was at the end of last summer (late August/early September) - the wildfires were raging, it was very hazy and hot and many areas closed off. So, we are wondering -- what would be the best chance for fall weather - foliage and the opportunity to see wildlife, but not frozen yet? We'd appreciate your recommendations for a second chance to see this beautiful area. Coming from Florida, we really enjoy autumn...even if we aren't well acclimated to it! Thanks, all.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 12:40 PM

Looks like this might be another forest fire year, in BC at least, and that means the Banff area could have a lot of smoke again.
Mid to late September might be a good time for your visit. Weather's harder to predict in October. Sometimes there's snow on the ground by the second week, sometimes it's lovely and warm.
Foliage usually starts to turn in mid-September I think, but keep in mind that you won't necessarily get the brilliant red colours the the east gets. It's mostly yellow foliage in autumn in the mountains.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 03:16 PM
maj

I hesitate to answer since I think you take your chances whenever you go. Last year we went the last week in September and first in October. I watched the information about the fires all through September, hoping the smoke would be gone when we went--and it was. The weather last year at that time was beautiful. It was cool the first couple of days. It only was cloudy a couple of days and by the time we left people were wearing shorts in Banff. They said it was unseasonably warm for that time of year. The larch trees were beautiful (around the Lake Louise, Moraine Lake area). Just be flexible in your plans--there is so much to see no matter what the weather (although I agree smoke would cut down on visibility if you like to take pictures). Have a great trip--envy you for being able to go back again so soon.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you both. Yes, I think we are fortunate indeed. Especially so, considering that I had tried for 2 years to get a timeshare right at Banff for our previous trip, then had to settle for a spot a couple of hours away. Of course, this still means planning pretty far in advance (this next trip is 15 months away). We have quite a few Canadians who choose to spend their winters here in our area (Central Florida), we are returning the favor. Trading alligators for bears, one might say...
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 08:20 AM
ltt

i'd pick anytime after labor day long weekend (first monday in september) until the end of the month. great time to be there usually.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. We've confirmed the week of September 23-30. If it's too cold, at least that will be an enjoyable memory once we are back in blistering hot and humid Orlando.
Since we check in on a Friday, we're considering beginning our trip in Vancouver, taking a couple of days in Victoria and another couple of days to journey to Banff along a southerly route, so we can stop in Nelson and Kimberley (we thought Kimberley is cute in a kitschy sort of way, and hubby has wanted to see the town that the Steve Martin movie Roxanne was filmed in). However, in order to make it back home and to work on time, we'll have to make it a 1-day drive straight back to Vancouver. I checked the option of flying out of Calgary, but the one-way airline legs and the rental car drop charge were just too much. What is the chance of encountering ice/snow on the trip back (Sept. 30) along TC-1?
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 05:42 PM

The chance of snow on the #1 at that time of year is slim. You should be able to do the drive from Calgary to Vanc. about 11 hours, with stops only for gas, loo breaks and quick meals.
Take the #1 to Kamloops, then switch to the #5 (the Coquihalla - it's a toll highway, though). Should take about 3.5 hours from Kamloops to Vancouver that way.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 05:59 PM

The end of September is the best time of the year as far as I'm concerned not too hot and not too cold (usually!!).
September weather in the interior of B.C. is normally great - sunny and clear days that aren't stifling hot.
You may want to check when the Okanagan fall wine festival is in 2005 - it could give you an incentive to leave Calgary a day early so that you could spend a day in Kelowna (Kelowna to Vancouver is about 4 hours drive).

However, if you still plan on driving Calgary to Vancouver in one day - I would recommend - if you can - to drive to Lake Louise the evening before - shouldn't take more than 1 hr 45 minutes from Calgary (western city limits), and that should make your next day a bit less tiring in terms of amount of driving.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Terrific! Thanks for the great advice.