Calgary, Banff, LL & Jasper in early September

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2004, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For our honeymoon we will be flying into Calgary, and taking a ten day trip to LL, Banff, Jasper and back to Calgary in early September, just after Labour Day weekend. We tend to have had bad luck on summer trips to the US Rockies in the past (freak June blizzard and an ice storm on 2 separate occasions) so with all good luck, the Canadian Rockies will treat us better

I know to pack for anything, as it is the mountains, but typically during the day, what average temperature could one expect in early September?

We are now wondering if we chose a bad time of year due to the possibility of wildfires. Just to assuage my wildfire nerves, will the trip be worthless if there are fires in say, Banff, while we are there? We are most interested in beautiful scenery, day hikes and taking lots of pictures.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 09:28 AM

Hello Mazey,

Banff's average high for September is 61 deg F (16 deg C). As you say, the temperature can go all over the map on any given day. However, in my experience, early September on the whole tends to be a bit warmer than the monthly average. When I've been to the mountains in the first week of September, the daily high has tended to be more like 68 - 65 deg F.

I wouldn't say your trip would be worthless if there were wildfires while you were in the Rockies. However, visibility might be somewhat impaired by smoke, and there might be a slightly acrid smell in the air if there were wildfires at the time of your visit. That's how it was for us when we were in Lake Louise at the beginning of September 2003. The fires were far enough away that we weren't in any danger, but we did experience mild side effects of the fires.

I felt sorry for tourists who obviously had come from far away, e.g., Japan. I wondered when, if ever, they would get a chance to return and see the Rockies under better circumstances.

But then a friend's relatives in Kelowna had lost a house to the fires, another friend's relatives in California had experienced a similar loss, and our local supermarket in Calgary was inviting donations for evacuees in British Columbia, so that put our less than perfect trip to the mountains in perspective.

I hope the mountains will provide you with pleasant conditions for your honeymoon.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 10:57 AM

It hasn't been that dry in the Alberta Rockies this year (2004) - this past weekend the forest fire risk signs were all pointing to "moderate" risk (of the four possibilities: low, moderate, high and extreme) in Jasper National Park. Plus there was quite a bit of rain (which further reduces the risk, and more rain has been forecast for this week).

The situation is somewhat different west of Alberta, in our neighbouring province of B.C., where in the central regions there have aleady been quite a lot of fires. None of the smoke has yet made it as far east as Jasper National Park.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies! I had a feeling early September might be a little warmer than the average indicated, but I will be prepared for all weather!

As for the wildfires, being an East Coaster, it never really crossed our minds (since wildfires are something we generally don't have to deal with) until recently as I was reading about BC's problems already with fire. Hopefully they will get the rain they need soon! I did read this morning that the BC fires are diminishing.

Well, like with anything, the weather and wildfires are a crapshoot, and we'll make the best of it whether good or bad, since this may be one of the few opportunities to see the Canadian Rockies!
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 11:28 AM

Since it is your honeymoon, look into staying at Lake O'Hara Lodge about twelve miles outside of Lake Louise. It is a wonderful spot. Splurge on a cabin. The hiking is exceptional...not to mention the food. In LL try the Post Hotel.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 12:00 PM

Since you are flying into Calgary, you will have lots of choices. i.e. IF fires in Banff go south to Glacier/Waterton park, or north to Edmonton then east to Jasper NP. IMO Kananaskis Lodge in Perter Lougheed Provincial park (that's where the G8 summet was held) is far wilder, has as nice or better hiking, gofing, white water, horseback etc. than Banff which is mythical now but very commercial.

still need to bring shorts for warm days and fleece for cool nights.