Search

banff

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2003, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
banff

Has anyone been to any of these resturants?
Thanks for your opinions
Le Beajulois
Bufalo Mountain Lodge
Banshfire
Eden
Primrose
Waldhouse
Classico
Maple leaf
Saltihk
Ticciono
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 10:59 AM

Le Beaujolais is fine dining where we have had one of our best meals ever in Banff (including a wild mushroom soup that was out of this world!!).

Maple Leaf Grill advertises a lot, so we fell for it and went there for dinner. Food was mediocre and the service was atrocious (waiters/wiatresses who weren't interested in anything except chatting with each other, cold food, forgotten orders etc.). Will not go there again.

Ticino Swiss-Italian was fine - tasty food - but we haven't been there in the past couple of years, so this info may be out of date.
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 11:05 AM

We ate at the Buffalo Mtn Lodge Restaurant. The food was very good but it was very expensive. My husband still chokes when he tells the story about the $13 glass of wine (the house wine). This was our "splurge" dinner for the week. We actually enjoyed the St James' Gate restaurant downtown better. More relaxed, better prices, excellent food. We at there twice in 4 days, which is something we never do on vacation.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 09:17 AM

So, Deborah, tell me more about the St. James Gate restaurant. BF and I will be on our annual mountain long weekend late January, he is taking me out for a so-sorry-you-really-don't-have-a-birthday-because-you-were-born-Christmas-Day dinner, and I really don't want to go back to Ticino (we were last there about 10+ years ago). Location downtown? Type of cuisine? Average prices, if you can remember? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 1st, 2004, 12:57 PM

luna
St James's Gate (Irish Pub)was downtown Banff among all the shops. It is a true Irish pub, licensed by the Guinness (brewer) family. There aren't very many of them around (I think there's one in Boston). Parts of the interior were brought there from Ireland. The menu includes traditional Irish fare including a delicious shepherd's pie, fish & chips - and of course Guinness Beer. Both days we were there after being on our feet for about 9 hours. We were hungry & very tired. We sat in a booth, I kicked my shoes off & put my feet up and totally relaxed. They also have nachos, etc, but we really enjoyed the "traditional" dishes. It's not on the main street, but it is down one of the "main" side streets. Oh- the prices were as reasonable as any we saw during our entire trip. Post again if you have more questions. I'll try to help.
deb
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 08:59 AM

Thanks for the information, deborah - we'll keep it in mind when we go there in a couple of weeks!