Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone been to St Pierre et Miquelon recently?

Old Apr 14th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're looking to add a few days in St Pierre et Miquelon to a trip to Newfoundland this summer. I've read a few posts about it, seen that one day is not enough. How many is enough? I'm having trouble finding much information about it. Does anyone know a travel guide that discusses it? I confess that I am a diehard francophile, and this is a way for me to have a little French culture. I really don't know much about the island except that it belongs to the French. Any recommendations on reading suggestions, lodging suggestions, sightseeing suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 05:37 AM

It's one of those places that doesn't overflow with tourist sites and is relatively difficult to get to, which makes it good for tourists.

If you go, or even if you don't, find and rent the movie "The Widow of St-Pierre," a terrific movie from a few years ago that takes place on St-Pierre. The story is a bit odd: in the early 19th C., a ne'er-do-well committed a crime and was condemned to death. By French law, execution was only by the Guillotine; as luck would have it, the nearest Guillotine was in Martinique, and it would take several months for that Guillotine to be shipped up to St-Pierre. During that time, the condemned man turns his life around and becomes a model citizen and a great help to the community. So when the Gullotine finally arrives, a most significant question arises, particularly at a time when pardons and clemency were virtually unheard of.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I've seen Widow of St. Pierre and enjoyed it.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 08:56 AM

I have been to St. Pierre several times in the past few years. It is quite enjoyable. You can either fly from St. John's or drive to Fortune and then take the Ferry over.

2 days is probably sufficient to see the place, unless you want to try to see Miquelon too. Try to stay at a Bed & Breakfast when there as the two hotels (Neptune and Robert) arent as good a value.

To find info on the islands, do a search on google.com and you should come up with several websites, including the official one which has lots of info.

The only travel agent that really deals with St. Pierre is St. Pierre Tours in Grand Bank at 1-800-563-2006. They have all sorts of package deals and should be able to give you lots of info. Enjoy your trip.

Also avoid going on weekends if you can. As it is France it does observe the same sort of business rules. Closed on Sundays and during lunch hours. So for the majority of the weekend shops and businesses are closed.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 08:52 PM

Hello all,

Yes, St Pierre et Miquelon is indeed an original destination but be warned, the Widow of St Pierre was not filmed there but in Louisbourg, a fortress in Cape Breton.

St Pierre and Miquelon has a number of interesting places to visit including a unique cemetary, two museums that focus on Prohibition, beautiful wildlife and scenery on Miquelon and Langlade, a XIX century fishing ghost town on île aux Marins, lighthouses, picturest sites...

For more information do check out our site at
http://www.st-pierre-et-miquelon.com/