Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St Barts, St Barth, St Bart, St Barths, St Bart's, St Barth's

Just to clarify:

St Barth is French

St Barts is English/American

Them others am nonesense.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 05:55 PM

Thanks for the language lesson. I have been going to St Barth since I was a child. We have always called it St Barths, and I know others who have lived there and call it that too.

Yes, I know you live there and you know everything, but this was not really a necessary post.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 05:00 AM

some folks must have a lot of time on their hands. but then again, by replying to this post, I must be one of them!

Since Bart & Barth, Bart's and Barth's are pronounced the same way, why get your panties in a wad over how people spell it? I suspect Fowler & Bryson would find both spellings acceptable. Anyone who says otherwise "am nonesense <sic>."
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 07:23 AM

I can understand waring's point.

It annoys me when people say/write <i>Ochos</i> Rios when they mean Ocho Rios.

To me it's like saying <font color="green">News York</font>.

If you're planning to visit somewhere, at least learn the proper name &amp; spelling of the place.

Old Oct 25th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

&quot;Not a necessary post&quot;? They are discussing the relative merits of inviting Saxons, Normans and Celts to dinner parties on the Europe forum

The killer is when people pronounce the &quot;th&quot; in Barth.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 07:35 AM

&quot;I know you live there and you know everything...&quot; =D&gt;

Old Oct 25th, 2006, 07:49 AM

Diana, how and where've you been? Back from Grenada and C'cou and Bequia?

I meant to tell you before you left about a book I read that you might want to pick up to skim. It's called Praisesong for the Widow and it's set mostly in Carriacou, with flashbacks to the US. The C'cou part gave a very nice sense of place, I thought. Anyway, it's good to see your name, and here my official reques for a trip report!
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 07:54 AM

waring, btw I do see your point. Seeing or hearing &quot;St. John's&quot; when the person is referring to the US Virgin Island grates me. And JAGIRL, I'd feel the same way about &quot;Ochos,&quot; too.

I just question whether waring's post isn't really more a question of what is preferred rather than a case of right or wrong.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

There is no possible dispute on the French &quot;St Barth&quot;, there is 100% unanimity on this among the locals.

St Bart's, or St Barth's makes no sense in the same way as St Kitt's, St John's or St Thomas's.

St Barths makes no sense either, in English, the &quot;th&quot; would be pronounced as in &quot;bath&quot;.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 08:22 AM

Actually, St. Kitts is correct. Not St. Kitt's, but St. Kitts. I do see your point, though.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 08:22 AM

St. Bartholemy, then there would be no question as to Bart vs Barth. Just my two cents. Hope everyone is having a great day.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 08:36 AM

I just think its silly that people on this site feel the need to correct others all the time
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

It woznt a korexion, cimplie a kazhuall obzervashion.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 10:18 AM

Interesting topic, I could have sworn I saw references to &quot;St. Barth's&quot; on many signs, t-shirts, etc. when I was on-island last spring but perhaps my memory is playing tricks. I've cecked a few tourist web-sites and, as you can imagine, I found it spelt the six different ways listed in the title of waring's post. The most common were St. Barth and St. Barts but unfortunately it did not appear that any of the sites I found were the &quot;official&quot; government site so I guess we will have to rely on waring's unofficial proclimation.

I'm surprised no one has commented on the fact that while people sometimes mistakenly refer to the USVI of St. John as St. John's the latter is not an island but rather the capital of Antigua - now that's a whole other matter.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 10:26 AM

Oh Waring,

Your sense of humour continues to astound me.

We have posters here from all over the world. In reading posts, it's clear that English is not te first language of many, and yet they express themselves well and most of us get it, and respond with helpful information.

As an American I could not begin to express myself verbally in another language...and certainly not with the written word.

I hope that we learn here...whether it is proper pronunciation or the little things that *trigger* all of us, and then practice tolerance.

I have stated before, and stand by it, that some of your posts are a little judgemental.

Why not try to come over to the kinder side...wherever that might be

Marion
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 02:04 PM

Oh, ej. Sigh...

You won't believe this, but just when things got halfway back on track with my life, my Dad was diagnosed with lung cancer in early Sept. (That was shortly after my last Caribbean post reflecting on my husband's recent illness.)

We were supposed to have left for San Juan/Vieques/St Vincent/Bequia this past Saturday, but my Dad's surgery is tomorrow, so we had to cancel.

The good news is that they think they caught it early, and will be able to get it all. We all are very hopeful that he is going to be OK, and I got him a referral from a friend at Duke to one of the top thoracic surgeons in the country at Johns Hopkins, so he is in good hands.

I am REALLY upset that US Air is charging me a $200 change fee despite the fact that I can document my father is having major surgery on the day I was supposed to be flying to SVG. Jerks.

Do me a favor and throw a thought and/or prayer my way tomorrow about noon.

Sorry I have not been much fun lately.

THANKS for the suggestion about the book. I am having C'cou withdrawal!
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 02:42 PM

Dear Diana,

Please know that there are many prayers coming to your Dad and to you !!

Try to take good care of you ! I know and respect your strength but these are difficult days. Try to find a *travel image* that inspires peace in your soul and take yourself there for renewal.

I'm sure that MANY here will will be sending love and prayers to your family !

Take care...

Marion
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 03:26 PM

Thanks so much Marion. It has been a tough year for us and my family.

I hope you are on the mend and your daughter is enjoying married life!

It helps to know my &quot;fodors family&quot; is there for me.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 05:18 PM

Thoughts and prayers headed your way.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 05:40 PM

oh, Diana. I'm so sorry to hear about your dad! I'm getting some sure-fire good prayers, thoughts, and vibes and sending 'em down your way. If you're able to, please keep us posted.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -