altitude in canadian rockies

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a few concerns about the high altitude. I am wondering if there is any adjustments in breathing etc. I understand
Lake Louise is about 5000 ft above sea level
which is considered moderately high. If some
one with repiratory problems would have hard time with this altitude?
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 05:05 PM

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that, but I hope someone does. My husband has concerns about high elevations/altitudes for other reasons and we couldn't seem to get clear answers from the doctors. I've never noticed any difference in going to the Rockies from sea level, but I don't have a breathing problem.

I'm wondering if flying long distances in commercial jets bothers you.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 06:09 AM

I think it's difficult to give a specific answer to the question because 1) it depends on how serious the medical problem is and 2) reaction to altitude is so individualistic. My folks regularly spent a month in the Rockies for years (Banff/Jasper). My stepdad's breathing was affected by his congestive heart problems. He found he had to rest more often and couldn't do as much, but that it improved after about 2 days once he became more acclimated - although of course it was never the same as sea level. When his condition became more serious, they stopped going but the altitude wasn't the only reason. The rest of the family (with no medical problems) had to make adjustments to the altitude as well but found they noticed no difference after a day or two. Hope this is of some help and hope his MDs can provide some insights as well.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 10:44 AM

Questions like this should not be answered by amateurs. I personally sought advice before I went to Switzerland the last time from a board certified cardiologist, mainly because I am not about to believe anything about my health offered by someone who has never seen me nor studied high altitude medicine!!!

My own feeling is, at age 74, that if Lake Louise bothers a person, he or she is at risk anywhere at similar altitude.

Lake Louise at at 1730 meters, which is 5,675 feet in elevation. The area around the lake to and from the parking lot is relatively flat, but is not level as a gymnasium floor.

Ask a pulmonologist or a cardiologist!
The only forum contributor I know about who could offer a good general opinion is Dr. Rex who usually is found on the European side of this organization.