Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice needed -flying the red-eye from Vancouver

Old Mar 30th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am flying out of Vancouver (YVR) at 11pm on Sept. 4 ... I will be taking a ferry from Victoria and have Pacific Coach drop me off at the airport.

Here is where I need some advice.
I have no idea how busy the airport is this time of night. I am flying home to the US, so I will need to go through security/customs (and check in my luggage) If I get to the airport at 9:25(ish), will that give me enough time?

The thing is, the bus only goes to the airport every 2 hours - so if I wanted to get there earlier, I would get there 3 1/2 hours before my plane leaves! (too long)

I just don't know what I should do.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 06:02 AM

I have never been to Vancouver Airport at that time of night, so cannot comment from personal experience.

But there's also the issue of the ferry. They usually run on time, but what if that particular ferry doesn't run on time for some reason? Then you're hooped.

If it was my trip, I would catch the earlier bus/ferry combination and take a book to read.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 06:35 AM
ltt

i agree with judy. for an international flight, they normally want you there 2 hours early.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 07:20 AM

I'm not sure if I've been at YVR quite that late at night, but I can tell you that this is a hub airport and extremely, extremely busy. I would certainly err on the side of caution. It's less stressful to amuse yourself at the airport for an extra hour or two than to agonize over whether you're going to miss your plane. Have a good flight!
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 07:35 AM

I've been to the airport at that time. Generally it's a less busy time, but there are shops, and pubs, and what have you. I'd just bite the bullet and go earlier. It's safe and there are a lot of places to relax.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Carmanah,

All the shops CLOSE at 7 (I checked) - If I thought there would be enough there to amuse myself, then this would not be an issue.

But I appreciate every one's advice and it confirmed what I was thinking anyway. - I'll leave Vicdtoria at 3:45 so I can get to the airport by 7:30 ... It won't kill me
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 10:30 AM

Check in time for flights to the USA is 90 minutes prior to take off-I just did this last month.

The Airport is not at all busy at that time and check in should be fast/smooth-as it usually is for US bound flights.

You have lots of time and there's no need to be early.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

I know this thread is a few months old, but I want to add to it (for others who might need similar advice)

I just found out from another thread that there is a very nice lounge for International travelers or travelers to the US. It is only $25 but the money buys you a lot!

Now I am looking forward to my extra time at YVR!