4 hours in Toronto

Old Jul 31st, 2007, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 hours in Toronto

Hi all -
On our way to Europe, my wife and I have a rather long layover in Toronto on August 26th, and would appreciate recommendations on what to do with our time. Flight arrives at 12:45 and the connecting flight leaves at 8:00, so I figure we have about 4 good hours of time to explore before we have to make our way back to the airport.
We are both physically fit and like to walk, so getting around should be no problem.
Thanks in advance and look forward to your thoughts regarding what to see and where to go!
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 11:52 AM

as its a sunday you won't really have to worry about traffic to and from the airport, so your 4 hrs is probably about right.

if it were me i'd take a cab to the corner of bloor and avenue rd.

from there you have close access to the ROM (Royal Ontario Musuem & its new addition, the Michael Lee-Chin Crystal) or the Bata Shoe Musuem.

also, you have access to great shopping along bloor street to the east and along cumberland and yorkville a little north.

there are also some great restaurants in the area depending on what kind of food you like - michelle's brasserie is al fresco spot behind the four seasons hotel in a little courtyard.

Old Jul 31st, 2007, 01:38 PM

If you don't want to shop (where are you gonna put the purchases when you get back to the airport) or dine, take a sightseeing bus around the city - http://www.city-discovery.com/toronto/tour.php?id=2219.
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 02:23 PM
BAK

A variation:

You could se how the Toronto transit system works by taking a bus from the airport to the Kipling subway station, and then a subway eastbound to the St. George station. That's probably 40 minutes.

From St. George, get to the surfae, and walk east (toward the really tall buildings). You'll see the Bata Shoe Museum, shaped like a shoe box, and then the barnd new extraordinary addition to the Royal Ontario Museum.

You can detour north a couple of blocks through the Yorkville fancy shoping neighborhood, visiting some commercial art galleries. BAck to Bloor Street.

Dependng on your nature, walk south through the University of Toronto grounds, or go to Yonge Street, and walk down Toronto's main street -- semi-shabby but fascinating.

After a while, you get to the Hockey Hall of Fame, and you can continue to the lakeshore. Visit the Museum of Inuit Art in the main Queen's Quay Terminal of the Harbourfront complex, then walk past the CN Tower and Rogers CEntre back to Front street, over (east again) to the Fairmont Royal York, and catch the fancy highway-sty;le bus back to the airport. (about $15 each)

BAK
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses! Looks like there's plenty to see and do and that 4 hours is not enough time for everything. My hunch is that we'll see what we can that Sunday and will have to return for more when time allows.