4-hour layover in Vancouver

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a flight with a four hour layover in Vancouver (coming from Japan, going on to the States). (July) Is there anything to do in four hours??? I've always wanted to go to Canada -- I'm really sad it's not a longer layover. My girls are 12 and 7; I suppose the luggage will be checked through and we won't have to deal with it.
Old May 6th, 2008, 04:26 AM

Four hours will just give you enough time to clear Canadian Customs and then go through US Customs and security. Unfortunately you will not have time to leave the terminal. I suspect you will have to get your luggage to pass through Canadian Customs, then after you've gone through US Customs it will be put through to your connecting flight.
Old May 6th, 2008, 06:05 AM

cryuseryyc is right. You won't have enough time to do anything in a four hour turnaround. The flights from Japan are usually 747's or similar so the lines for immigration can take quite awhile due to so many passengers. Also if another plane from overseas lands at the same time it is even worse. You will clear immigration - wait for you luggage which can take a very long time - then claim your luggage and go through customs. At that point you will be directed to put you luggage on a belt where it will go to your connecting flight. By the time you comfortably find your gate it will be almost time to board again. I would not go out of the secure area as security to get back in can take a long time. There are restaurants etc in the secure area so you can always get a beverage or a snack if you want especially for the girls. You must come back to Canada for a proper visit. Have a safe flight.
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:04 AM

<I suppose the luggage will be checked through>

Depends - are your tickets on the same airline? Different airlines, but code share? If yes, then they should be checked through.
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:06 AM

And yes, as much as we love Vancouver, I agree that 4 hrs isn't enough time to leave the airport.
Old May 7th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Original Poster

OK, thanks all. That was very informative!
Old May 7th, 2008, 05:00 PM

Which airline are you flying? If you're connecting to an Air Canada flight, you maybe able to buy access to the Maple Leaf Lounge, which would be a more comfortable place to wait.