MIA - connecting flight

Search

MIA - connecting flight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2003, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MIA - connecting flight

Our flight arrives in MIA from Nassau at 12:15 pm Our connecting flight for Cleveland leaves MIA at 1:05 p.m
Is this ample time (50 minutes) to make this connection? Do we have to go through immigration and customs in Miami?

Old Sep 6th, 2003, 09:05 AM

Hi-this may be a little tight since you will have to go through customs in Miami. We did something similar a few years ago (coming from Curacao)and when our flight from Curacao landed, we had to pick up our luggage, head through customs, and then recheck our luggage afterwards. Plus, the confusion and disorganization at the Miami customs was something to behold!!! If you just have carry-ons you will probably be fine. Good luck!
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 09:27 AM

I agree that it's cutting it close, considering that boarding for your connection will begin at 12:35, only 20 minutes after you land.

I'd request seating as far to the front of the aircraft when checking in for your MIA flight. That way you'll get to immigration and customs quicker. The US immigration line isn't all that bad at MIA, but the luggage arrival downstairs can be a bit of a wait at times.

If you can, carry on your baggage and that will eliminate your waiting for luggage, therefore speed up the process of customs. Also, be sure to have your immigration form filled out before landing at MIA.

Good luck!
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 05:47 AM

I agree it will be tight to make connections. Another thing to consider is that after going thru customs the airlines will take your bags and you have to go up to the main concourse and go thru security again to get to your gate. If you are running late and there is a chance you will miss your connection I would tell one of the TSA agents at security and see if they will let you jump the line.
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 06:00 AM

If you are flying from Nassau then you will have already been pre-cleared thru U.S customs and immigration all you need to do is to walk to your connecting gate in Miami,we managed to connect with only 30mins between flights.there is no need to re-check luggage as it is booked straight thru.add a little extra time onto your check in in Nassau as it can be quite busy at the pre clearance area
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 10:04 AM

You will go through customs in Nassau, and remember there is a departure tax that has to be paid in cash, I think it is $15.

Customs in Nassau is pretty simple, and you have to have all your bags and as you go though customs your bags will be checked.

It may be a bit of a hike to your gate, as the American flights are a bit out of the way, but you will know what gate you are leaving from once you get on the flight leaving Nassau. The plane is very small and seats about 40 people and departure from the plane is in the back, for some planes.

My only concern would be your bags making the Cleveland flight if the Nassau flight is a little late and that happens alot.

Have a great time in the Bahamas. Let me know if you have any other questions on the Bahamas.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 09:15 AM

When I went through MIA about 2 months ago there was alot of construction and congestion. After landing it took 20-30 minutes just to taxi to the gate. I try not to cut it too close when going through MIA.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 12:14 PM

I believe wantsomesun is incorrect. You will go through American customs and immigration in Miami, as that is your first point of entry into the USA.

I think that is a little tight to make the connection.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help. We decided to take an earlier flight from Nassau. We will be flying to FLL and have 2 hours to catch a connecting flight to Cleveland. Is FLL less crowded than MIA? Never been there
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 05:29 AM

Yes, FLL is smaller than MIA, and MUCH easier to connect at. Glad you got your plans worked out.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 06:16 AM

The US Customs Service has been operating preclearance service for over 50 years...There are 11 facilities in Canada,Nassau,Bermuda and Aruba..so if you are coming from Nassau, you will already have been cleared...
http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/xp/cg...08132002_2.xml
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 05:16 PM

We just came through Customs and immigrations in Miami 2 weeks ago. It tooks us over an hour. I wll never go through Miami again. American Airlines going through Miami is like Delta going through Atlanta. The flights are always delayed.
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 06:57 PM

I am a regular in the Bahamas, and go at least a couple of times a year.

You WILL clear customs in Nassau before your flight.

Ft. Lauderdale airport is much smaller than Miami and easier to get around.

Again, have a GREAT time.