4 days in Montreal with husband...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2010, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. i am going to be in Montreal for 4 days with my husband. i am debating if its worth seeing another city. any suggestions? anything we shouldnt miss? thank you!
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 07:09 AM
BAK

You could do a day trip to Ottawa.

Get up early, drive to Ottawa, have lunch, visit museums and, depending on the time or year and weather, take a boat ride ont he Ottaa River or the Rideau Canal, have dinner, and then drive back to Montreal.

Quebec City is farther away, and really deserves an overnight stay.

Trains run from Montreal to both Ottawa and Quebec City. Not much to see on the way to Ottawa by car, but a car is handy once you are there.

Conversely, lots to see on the way to Quebec City, but the car is less useful once you arrive.

Where are you from? That might make a diffrence in recommendations.

BAK
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 05:42 PM

With only 4 days, I'd probably opt to stay in Montreal instead of travelling somewhere else. Previous response is correct - Quebec City really deserves at least 1 night.
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 03:25 AM

4 days in Montreal isn't enough time. Enjoy the city and its many quarters (latin, greek, chinese, etc.) Each has its own charm and many restaurants to choose from. If you are going in warmer weather, simply put on good walking shoes and explore. Rue St Denis has lots of unique shops and excellent restaurants. The waterfront, Old Montreal ... believe me you will want to return!
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 07:05 AM

I'd spend the entire 4 days in Montreal. What time of year will you be going? recommendations on what to do would depend on that.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

I will be going the end of August. it sounds like we should spend the whole time there, which is fine. i'm just happy to hear there is plenty to do in 4 days there. i live in new york city but its my first time going to Montreal.

out of curiosity, anyone have any hotels they love? thank you!
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 03:47 PM

Angy,
The end of August is a beautiful time to visit Montreal.
Just keep in mind that during that time frame University students & their families are heading to Montreal for McGill University, Concordia & other universities & colleges in Montreal. So, reserve your hotel. We like Omni which is @ Sherbrooke & Peel.
I love Montreal!
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 04:42 AM

Since I was the one who asked you to specify time of year before responding, I will try to give some suggestions now. In late August you should really be able to enjoy the city by walking around all the different neighborhoods. (At this time of year it is not as pleasant...)

Old Montreal and the Old Port are very lively in the summer. The archeology museum gives a good background to the city's history.

On Île Sainte-Hélène you can visit the Biosphère, a museum of the environment, including the St. Lawrence river, inside the Buckminster Fuller geodesic dome from Expo. There are great views of the city from the top.

The big markets (Jean Talon, Atwater) are also wonderful at this time of year, full of tempting food.

Restaurants and cafes sport outdoor patios and tables.

the tourist office has a lot of good information on the different neighborhoods and offers a hard copy guide with good walking tours--check out the Plateau, Mile End and Outremont as well as downtown and Old Montreal:
http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/Discover-montreal

The tourist web site also has a listing of events and a promotional program for many of the major hotels called "Sweet Deal" which offers discounts for multi-day stays. In general, the hotels are much more affordable than comparable hotels in New York. In addition to the larger luxury hotels, there are boutique hotels and bed and breakfasts.

The Lachine Canal area has historic sites, boat tours, bicycle paths.

We have been going to Montreal for years and still have plenty of new places we want to see. For example, I am planning to visit the Museum Saint Gabriel, a 300 year old house, next summer.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

thank you so much for the information. this is so helpful!