36th St. in Calgary

Search

36th St. in Calgary

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2006, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
36th St. in Calgary

I'm now firming up driving plans. We are picking up our truck camper at Canadream, located on 27th St. NE early on a Saturday. I'm planning to stop at Safeway - looks like its at 32 St. and 36th St. What is 36th St. like? I want to take 36th St. north to Country Hills Blvd. On the map, it looks like 36th St. runs out or makes a right turn when 36th St. runs into 44th St. Is there anything peculiar about that intersection that would make it hard to make that left turn onto the 36th extension (for want of a better word to call it). While DH is no stranger to driving a truck camper, he'll be driving on the other side of the street than he usually does, so I want to have this thought out in advance since I have to do the navigating. Things get tense when I'm not prepared.

We are headed directly to Wetaskiwin on back roads because we like back roads and the Reynolds-Alberta museum has a one-day behind the scenes look at all its stuff on May 28 that will truly make DH happy. We'll have to bypass Drumheller for this, but hey, you've got to compromise.

We have early pickup at Canadream, so this should be possible.

I thought'd we'd take Country Hills Blvd. to Rte. 9 to Rte. 21 as far as Bashaw or Ferintosh and then zigzag to Wetaskiwin. However, I'm open to route suggestions and things to see along the way.

Thanks to all and especially to Judy-in-Calgary for previous and this help.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

Make that a left turn where 36th and 44th St. meet.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 09:48 AM

Hello islandpaddler,

I think the left turns that would be involved in getting from Canadream to the Safeway at 3550 – 32 Avenue NE would be quite tricky for you. I do not advise you to go there.

An easier supermarket for you to access would be Calgary Coop at 2735 - 39 Avenue NE.

Regardless of which supermarket you go to, I do not advise you to use 36th Street NE to reach Country Hills Blvd. Rather use Barlow Trail.

Here are the directions from Canadream to Calgary Coop.

Drive south for a short distance on 27th Street.

27th Street will turn right (west) and become 24th Avenue.

Take the first right (north) onto 26th Street.

Turn right (east) onto 39th Avenue NE.

When you’ve finished shopping, go west on 39th Avenue and north on Barlow Trail. Stick with Barlow Trail till you reach Country Hills Blvd.

The rest of your plan (Bashaw, etc.) is fine.

Hope that helps.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Yes, it does. Is the Coop a regular store? I thought Coops were membership sort of places strong on brown rice and the like? Not that there's anything wrong with brown rice, but we need more than that.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:45 AM

LOL. Calgary Coop is a regular supermarket, not any bigger on brown rice than Safeway is. If you're a member, you get a small patronage refund that is based on what you spent there during the previous year. However, you can shop there even if you are not a member.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:01 PM

I find that both Safeway and Co-op are more expensive than Real Canadian Superstore. Selection and quality are probably equal but for a camping holiday and all the camping type food necessities I don't think you can beat Superstore for price. This may or may not be a consideration for you.
Superstore is close to your pick up location. Here are the addresses.
REAL CANADIAN SUPERSTORE
3575 20TH AVENUE NE
--

REAL CANADIAN SUPERSTORE
5251 COUNTRY HILLS BLVD
Old May 4th, 2006, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

I'm mapping out all these suggestions and have found there's also a Great Canadian Superstore at 64th and 36th, which is the direction we're headed. And that's the store that sells those President's Choice cookies I've been dreaming about.

However, Judy earlier said not to take 36th St. I'm wondering why. Awful traffic? Road in terrible condition? Bad neighborhood? Totally unsafe for drivers unfamiliar with the roads?

Thanks.
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:10 AM

>>>>>>have found there's also a Great Canadian Superstore at 64th and 36th<<<<<<

While that branch of Superstore is <b>near</b> the intersection of 64th Avenue and 36th Street NE, it's not <b>at</b> that intersection. In fact it too would involve a little bit of fancy footwork for you to reach. Since you expressed reservations about driving on what would feel to you like the wrong side of the road and navigating in a strange city, I think that may not be the best location for you. If you choose to go there, be aware that the actual address is 3633 Westwinds Drive NE.

I feel that the 3575 - 20 Avenue NE branch of Superstore, which stanbr mentioned, would be easier for you to drive to.

The Superstore on Country Hills Blvd is quite far into the northwest quadrant of Calgary, so it would take you well away from the route that you want to travel to Wetaskiwin.

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;However, Judy earlier said not to take 36th St. I'm wondering why. Awful traffic? Road in terrible condition? Bad neighborhood? Totally unsafe for drivers unfamiliar with the roads?&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

None of the above.

Again, I was just thinking of the reservations you had expressed. As you've found on the map, 36th Street turns into a less prominent road further north, and you need to make a left turn onto 36th Street Extension. I just felt it would be easier for you to take Barlow Trail, which is a very prominent, wide road. However, if you want to take 36th Street and 36th Street Extension, by all means do so. You will not come to any harm.

It may be useful for you to know that Superstore is very busy, even busier than Safeway or Coop, on a Saturday morning. I don't believe that Superstore's fresh produce is up to the quality of the produce in Safeway and Coop. But it's true that Superstore's prices are better. And, as you say, Superstore does have President's Choice cookies.
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

You folks are all so helpful. I'll have to consult with DH when we get there about the route(he doesn't want to hear anymore about the plans until we go). But, it makes me feel better to know the options.

So, thanks to everyone for your help. I'm sure I'll come up some other obscure question before we depart at the end of the month.
Old May 4th, 2006, 04:39 PM

Judy is right, Safeway and Co-op do have better produce than Superstore. For everything else price is better at Superstore.
Old May 5th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Original Poster

Maybe we'll just have to go to both!!!!

Thanks to you all.
Old May 5th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Nobody mentioned Sobey's supermarkets, which I just stumbled across on Mapquest. One seems to be in the same neighborhood as the Safeway I had in mind to visit. Any opinions on this chain? I'm not familiar with it at all.
Old May 5th, 2006, 09:08 PM

Compared with Safeway and Coop, Sobeys is a newer arrival on the Calgary scene. If I remember correctly, even Superstore arrived in Calgary before Sobeys did. Sobeys started in Nova Scotia, and is an established company in Eastern Canada. It has been expanding westwards steadily, but as I understand it has not yet reached British Columbia. In Calgary there are 11 branches of Sobeys, as opposed to 28 branches of Safeway.

I don't have a branch of Sobeys in or near my neighbourhood. I did once pop into a Sobeys for a quick purchase when I was passing through another neighoburhood. Based on that quick dash into and out of the store, it looked to me like just another supermarket.