Anniversary Dinner in Toronto

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2006, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Toronto for our first anniversary and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a special place for a great dinner-- we are staying at the Le Germain. We are psudo-'foodies' and enjoy modern atmosphere and unique menus. (and are willing to spend a few $$ for this occasion) Thank you in advance!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:18 PM

I would suggest that you post your question on the Toronto Chowhound board for more specific feedback on restaurants, however my suggestions would be either Perigee or Splendido. Both are at the top of Toronto's dining scene. Perigee is interesting both for its innovative food as well as for its lack of menus whatsoever!
Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:32 AM
BAK

Well, I would suggest you post your question here, instead of hiving off to some competitive place and reducing the usefullness of this forum.

GFC.

And, you'll love Le Germain.

So, $300 for the two of you?

$150 for the two of you?

Whether "great dinner" means some gourmet adventure with three tiny beans, prepared with great expertise, for $12, or an evening in a restuarnat with buzz and excitement and fun, and food that tastes great, too.

My usggestion is to start by walking along King Street, behind the hotel, for a block, fairly soon after you arrive, and check out the menus and check out the decor and check out whatever kind of food you can see on plates.

Youngish people seem to have a good time, and enjoy the food, at Kit KAt, and it is a thrid the price of walking over to the Soho Metropolitan Hotel and going to Sen5es. (Go out the door of Le Gremain, turn right, walk to the end of the block, look right and cross the strteet and check out Sen5es. But you might have more fun at Gretsky's, which is at the same corner.

From checking out Sen5es, turn around and walk north to King, turn right, and check out all those restaurants.

Can you provide a bit more info about your personaities, interests, and food choices?

And, to cut to the chase, I'd grab a cab to Ora, on Elm Street just east of Bay. $200, excellent, somewhat exotic food (Steak is presliced and stacked up, for instance, but at least it is steak, and they use squid ink on some things) and then walk back to the hotel, stopping here and there for dessert, or some jazz, or a drink.

Sen5es--$300
Oro--$200
Kit Kat or Club Lucky (a block away) $150

BAK

BAK
Old May 4th, 2006, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your feedback-- much to ponder.
As for personalities-- as chicagoans, we're used to great food. We love the 'local hidden gems' and would rather be in a 20 seat place than a 200. No need for pretention, or a 'see & be seen' unless the food etc are top notch.
That being said, this is a special occasion for us, so $200-$250 would be fine. I love the idea of no menu-- it almost always guarantees fresh, interesting fare and a chef who uses all his resourses. So, in short, we're looking for a small, upscale local place w/ fantastic food.
Thanks in advance...
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:28 PM

Having just returned from a weekend in Toronto, Pangaea came highly recommended and did not disappoint:

http://www.pangaearestaurant.com/welcome.html

It may fall under BAK's definition of a gourmet adventure , but I think it definitely fills the bill for a special evening destination. We were just there for lunch and shared three appetisers; lobster bisque, fois gras and lamb sausages. All were excellent. The atmosphere was modern, yet not cold and the service was perfect. We also loved Brassaii for a great brunch spot:

http://www.brassaii.com/gallery.htm
Old May 5th, 2006, 06:57 AM
BAK

My friend Charles, who is a grad of the Culinary Institute of America and a world-traveller, was in Chicago one day. He's a big shot in an international association, and people all around the world know him as a foodie.

So in Chicago, my friend Sharon knew she had to find some restaurant that was really, really, good, for Charles' last meal in the city. (last on that trip; not because he was death row, or anything like that.)

The next morning he got on a plane, and that night, my job was to find a place he liked, better than the night before in Chicago.

We went to Ora, which I mentioned earlier. And Charles reported that it was better than Chicago -- I did not probe as to a definition of better.

Several months later, Sharon was in Toronto, looking for dinner at a lower price. I sent her and her husband to Kit Kat (which backs up against Le Germain) and then dropped in mid-evening to see if they were still there. they were just finishing dessert, which they said was fabulous. Creme Brullee.

And there's a Ruth's Chris steak house ad on the radio as I type this. Ten minutes walk, or so, from le Germain, downtstairs at the Hilton, University Avenue and Richmond. Hard to beat for real food.

BAK
Old May 5th, 2006, 10:22 AM

Without a doubt one of the favorite spots in Toronto is North 44. A short cab ride up Yonge Street (or brave the subway) It has a very canadian, unique menu and has a lovely atmosphere. Yes there is some pretense - however no more so than any other "fine dining" restaurant in any comparable Metropolitan City.

http://www.north44restaurant.com/
Old May 5th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions! I will let you know what we try. I definately want to hit the distillery district.
BAK- have to ask...what place did your friend recommend in Chicago?
Old May 5th, 2006, 02:29 PM

Just fyi, Perigee is in the distillery district. At the outset of the meal, your server inquires as to your likes/dislikes and then a blind tasting menu is designed for you by the kitchen. You can pick the number of courses (5-7, generally). Each person at the table gets a different dish for each course, so even if you both say that you want 'steak and potatoes', your meals will be different. It is a fairly small place with a low key atmosphere. They also have a dessert tasting menu.

http://www.perigeerestaurant.com/
Old May 5th, 2006, 04:33 PM
BAK

1? Re>BAK- have to ask...what place did your friend recommend in Chicago?<

I can't remember at all. I know it was not Lawrey's or Charlie Trotters (right name) or anywhere elsde really famous.

If you don't go to the distillery district for dinner, go forlunch on SAturday.

Leave the hotel Saturday morning, walk up to King Street, and turn right.

Walk and walk and walk, past Yonge Street, and past the King Edward Hotel, and cut across the parking lot beside thehotel and Tom Jones Steakhouse, down to Front Street, and continue east to St. Lawrence Market.

Buy a back bacon sandwich for breakfast, and eat it outside on the balcony.

then back to Front Street, and walk a few more blocks east to parliament Street. Look on an angle to your right: you'll see the Distillery District.

BAK

Old May 6th, 2006, 07:24 AM

Other top "fine dining" restaurants in Toronto include Susur (esp. for foodies), Splendido and Canoe. Susur and Splendido are renowned for their food. Splendidoalso for its wine list. Canoe's food isn't as good (but still good) but its views from the 54th floor make it a "special occasions" place.
i aslo echo Pangaea and Noth 44, both previosuly mentioned.
Old May 6th, 2006, 08:17 AM

And now for something completely different.....do you like Japanese food? Sushi Kaji - admittedly a cab ride away and in a pretty boring area of the west end - is regularly in the top 10 restaurants in Toronto and many consider it the top Japanese restaurant.

Expensive ($120 per person) but well worth it - there are usually 10 - 15 small courses each of which are works of art.

Here's a link to their site:

http://www.sushikaji.com/

Be sure to sit at the sushi bar - probably not your choice for an anniversary dinner (although it would be my choice!) but you might want to consider it while you're here.