2-Days in Toronto

May 9th, 2002, 07:40 AM
James

2-Days in Toronto

Hi All:

I will be travelling to Toronto June 8-13 for business. Essentially, I will only have the 8th and 1/2 of the 9th to see the sights.
What would you recommend for culture, theater,ethnic/eclectic dining? Not interested in shopping/drinking.

Thanks for your help.

May 9th, 2002, 08:33 AM
jmm

Art Gallery of Ontario on Dundas St,2 blocks west of University Ave. Lots of chinese restaurants in the area. Other interesting restaurants on Queen St - walk about 2 blocks south of Gallery. Royal ontario Museum, University Ave and Bloor st.

May 9th, 2002, 08:42 AM
LJ

Also, the Gardiner Museum, excellent ceramics collection. For theatre, check out whats on at the Hummingbird Centre,and the St. Lawrence Centre and Massey Hall as well as the more predictable fare of the Mamma Mia/Lion King offerings of the Royal Alexandra and Princess of Wales over on Kings St. But if you do end up at either of the above or the Roy Thomson Hall (for concerts), do try Dhaba for an incredibly good Indian meal.

May 9th, 2002, 03:56 PM
Diane

Hi James,

I'm visiting Toronto in June too. On the top of my list is the Vatican Masterpieces exhibit opening June 8 at the Royal Ontario Museum. Check out the ROM website if you're interested in Italian art.

May 9th, 2002, 05:35 PM
Bonnie

If you haven't seen Mama Mia I would definitely get tickets to see it. I would head to Bloor St. W. (The Annex) for an interesting blend of ethnic/eclectic dining. Take a hop-on, hop-off tour of the city. If it's a beautiful day (either) head to Harbourfront, take a cruise of the harbour.

May 19th, 2002, 03:53 AM
Heather

Other museums: Bata Shoe Museum, small and interesting. Also Casa Loma house and garden tour. Fort York (the original 16th century settlement by the lake is often overlooked but is quite interesting, free tours).
There are walking tours of the city, check with your hotel.
There are huge numbers of ethnic areas for dining. If the weather's good try either College Street West for Portugese or Italian(lots of outdoor tables). Also, the Danforth for Greek food or Spadina for authenic Chinese.
Ask at your hotel or check out a current issue of Toronto Life Magazine or one of the daily papers on line for a Saturday. The National Post, The Toronto Star or the Globe and Mail. Enjoy we have had great times there.