Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

2 day Vancouver itinerary for young couple

Aug 14th, 2004, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Message: I'm going to VC for the weekend with my wife and another couple. We are early 30's/late 20's and need itinerary suggestions including sites of interests, hip places to eat, and night-life possibilities. Stanley park and the Anthroplogy Museum are on our list, but we need more help from locals and or seasoned veterans. We already have a hotel downtown. Thanks!
Aug 14th, 2004, 06:15 PM

Hello Bogeyman,

From another discussion thread, I gather you will arrive in Vancouver on Friday afternoon, September 3rd, but I'm not sure at what time. When you say you have 2 days in Vancouver, I take that to mean all of Saturday and all of Sunday. In the other thread you say you'll be driving from Portland, Oregon. The Map Quest website says that drive is 5.25 hours. I assume Map Quest doesn't factor in the time it'll take you to cross the border. Nonetheless, since September 6th is Labo(u)r Day in both countries, I'm guessing you'll be able to stay on in Vancouver for Sunday night. So, given those assumed parameters, you could try on this itinerary for size.

Friday night - Make this your night for hip dining, but I'll leave it to others to give you specific recommendations in this category.

Saturday morning - Do a tour of the city's highlights on a hop on / hop off bus.

Saturday afternoon - Visit Stanley Park (walk along the seawall, etc.).

Saturday evening - Dine at Granville Island Market. I've only been to GIM during the day, and I know there are restaurants there, but I understand there are nightclubs there too, so this possibly would be a hip enough place for your party.

Sunday morning - Visit the Museum of Anthropology. It opens at 10 am.

Sunday afternoon - Drive across to Vancouver's North Shore, and see Horseshoe Bay and Capilano Canyon or Lynn Canyon. Finish up by taking the Skyride up Grouse Mountain. Dine there in your choice of upscale or casual restaurant while you watch the city's lights come on. Sunset will be at 7.48 p.m.

Hope that helps.
Aug 15th, 2004, 10:03 AM

Night Life:
There are no clubs I am aware of on Granville Island. Your best bet for clubs is Granville Street north of Nelson or so and Gastown. There are also some interesting places in Yaletown like Bar None. Voda (which is next to the Westin Hotel) is also popular. The descriptions on this website are fairly accurate: http://www.clubzone.com/home.asp?city=1. Be aware that most clubs in Vancouver attract lots of kids from the 'burbs as opposed to late 20s early 30s. Some of the film folk hange out at DV8 which is not a club but a pretty happening bar on Davie Street.

For food/bars/patios plus nightlife definitely hit Yaletown. Lots of trendy places there including Glowball, Coast, Chopstick Cafe and dozens of others. There is also a fun lounge place called Afterglow. Some places have live jazz (Capones). You could spend a whole evening in Yaletown, and actually an afternoon as well since there are lots of interesting boutiques. 2 other interesting restaurants close to Yaletown but on the water are Provence and C. Yaletown is basically centred on Hamilton and Mainland Streets.

Other interesting food is at Bin 941, Bin 942 (both fusion tapas) and Vij's (fusion indian) - all of these are pretty central. You can also check out the Raincity Grill in English bay in the West End. Although it isn't trendy it has great food and also a takeout picnic window where you can grab lunch/dinner and sit on the beach in the middle of downtown.
Aug 15th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the wonderful suggestions, If you ever need info on Portland, OR - let me know.

Justin
Aug 16th, 2004, 05:12 PM

Here's an itinerary published by the
New York Times.
http://travel2.nytimes.com/mem/trave...5BC0A9659C8B63

Things I like to do in Vancouver.

1. Walk around the sea wall at Stanley Park (or rent a bike). This is one of
my top 10 things to do in Canada.

2. Dine at Lumière, 2551 West Broadway
A French restaurant. (604) 739-8185
Great reviews by the New York Times.
Have not visited it yet.

3. Walk down Granville to Canada Place, watch the cruise ships et. Then head over to Gas Town and up to Chinatown

4. Take the Sea Bus across the harbour.

5. Explore Vancouver neighborhoods on foot
such as Robson/Denman, downtown
Kitsolano, Broadway west of Main.

6. Drive around West Vancouver.
Some of the most expensive real estate in Canada is here.

7. If you want to do major clubbing, go to the airport and fly to Toronto.
(I had to plug my hogtown...)