day and a half in Vancouver

Old Jul 14th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
day and a half in Vancouver

My husband and I with my daughter will have a day and a half in Vancouver before leaving on a cruise. Can anyone suggest things to do and some good resturants for dinner. We are staying at the Renaaissance Hotel at the harbor.
Thank You
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 11:14 AM

Again I would recommend a search on this forum.
Not knowing your interests or your daughter's age, here is a general list.
Hop on/hop off bus tour.
Stanley Park - stroll the sea wall if you like - and Aquarium
Storyeum in Gastown is a new attraction that's getting great buzz
Grouse Mountain
UBC Museum of Anthropology
Granville Island Market
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 07:43 AM

taggie is right in saying you don't provide enough information to give you more specific information. Also you're spending less than half the time it takes to get a decent feel of Vancouver. But I'll try to give you a possible itinery.

First day: After an early breakfast take a hop on hop off bus or trolley tour of Downtown Vancouver which includes Stanley Park and Granville Island. Have lunch at either Granville Island, (Bridges is excellant), or on Denman Street near English Bay where there are lots of eclectic places to eat and watch the interesting West End residents go by.

After lunch you can go to the SeaBus terminal beside the Cruise Ship terminal and take the SeaBus to Lonsdale Quay - a pale imitation of Granville Island. It's also the central bus loop for the North Shore. Catch a Capilano Road bus and get off at the Capilano Canyon Swing Bridge. Many people, (Sam Salmon I know you're out there), reccomend Lynn Canyon over Capilano because it's less touristy but I don't think you have the time. Spend an hour or two enjoying the unbelievably beautiful attracctions at the Canyon and then get back on the Capilano Bus to the Grouse Mountain Gondola.

Take the Gondola up to the top where you can see for about 100 kilometres South East and West. Very, very few cities in the world have such high mountains within them and so it's a once in a lifetime experiance. There are a host of other activities on the mountain which are of interest to young and old. Have dinner in one of the 4 or 5 choices, (from cafeteria to dining room), and stay till after sunset so you can see the fabulous night lite panorama. Then go back the way you came to the hotel.

The morning of your embarkation I suggest a walk through Gastown and maybe visit Storyum, a 75 minute live interactive history of Vancouver. It only began a few weeks ago but so far the response has been positive. If you're really into high end shopping go to Robson Street which is our Rodeo Drive/Worth Avenue. If the weather is lousy go to the Pacific Centrte Mall or further out, and depending on your daughter's interests, the Science Centre, The Museum of Anthropology or Metrotown a huge mega-mall with an entertainment component.

In the end you'll have seen less than a third of what Vancouver has to offer so hopefully it will make you want to return. Soon.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 09:53 AM

On the grouse/capilano trip, you may benefit from doing grouse first. The back of my grouse ticket had a $2 discount to capilano (not sure of vice versa). Also best to not leave grouse for a small leftover window of time - if it catches your fancy, there are lots of free activities to do there.

Furthermore, you can buy discounted tix to both from Greyline (including storyeum, etc) which makes you eligible for their $16 regular shuttle runs. Shuttles are free if you patronize the Greyline hop on/off downtown bus. May be on their web page, but I only noticed too late on brochures.

I can't help wondering if folks have their priorities upside down with a long cruise and only leftover hours in Vancouver. Vancouver is one of the main attractions on the continent worthy of a long stay, and you can add a day or so of cruising to get a fill of coastline watching...
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 10:40 AM

The reason I always suggest leaving Grouse till the latter part of the Afternoon, (during summer of course), is the unbeatable and truly awe inspiring view of the city lights spread like a jewel encrusted carpet below. I would think it's well worth losing out on the $2 coupon.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 02:26 PM

Gosh Gary I can tell you're not a female shopper!
I sure wouldn't compare Robson Street to Rodeo Drive! Robson has mostly chain stores like Gap, Zara, Club Monaco and Banana Republic - like a "high street" in the UK. Nothing high end designer. Holt Renfrew in Pacific Centre has big name designer wear; also Chanel is on West Hastings, down by the relocated Birks and close to Leone in Sinclair Centre which also sells high end designer wear. Louis Vuitton, Coach and Wolford are on Burrard just off Robson.
But that's not what you were asking about, thank goodness. I'd hate for someone to come here for such a short time and waste it shopping through our poor selection of designer clothing.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE POSTS TO MY MESSAGE. BYE THE WAY, MY DAUGHTER IS TWENTY-SEVEN. WE WISH WE HAD MORE TIME IN VANCOUVER BUT HAVE OTHER COMMITMENTS. WE WILL PROBABLY DO THE CAPILANO CANYON SWING BRIDGE AND GROUSE MOUNTAIN GONDOLA. LUNCH AT GRANVILLE ISLAND SOUNDS GREAT.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 08:27 AM

I recently spent 1/12 days in Vancouver with 2 of my kids. They are younger than your daughter (17 and 19), but they consider themselves "grown". In hindsight, I wish we had done Grouse Mountain, but we didn't think we would have time.

The things we did do were visit the Vancouver Art Gallery, shop on and near Robson Street, take the horse-drawn carriage tour of Stanley Park, and shop some more.

My kids (esp. the 20yo) loved the art gallery, which had a great (!) gift shop and is featuring a temporary Andy Warhol exhibit. They found lots of cool clothing stores on Robson. I liked the park tour, but my kids thought it was boring. Since your daughter is older, she might like it. (The totem poles you get to see up close are very interesting.)

Just a few ideas if you have any time left.

Donna