2-3 Days Toronto/Niagara Falls October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be travelling with our 12 year old granddaughter to Toronto for 2-3 days mainly for the Niagara Falls. We are are arriving on an international flight arriving approx. 06:30 a.m. and planned on spending the day in Toronto after dropping off our luggage at the hotel -
Need suggestions for fun things to do with her on day of arrival as the next day we will be doing Niagara Falls and following day flying to New York City.

Old Feb 6th, 2005, 10:34 AM
BAK

It depends on what interests the girl. Most children would enjoy the CN Tower, but this is best on a clear day.

Many children who are 12 enjoy shopping, and the Queen Street West area might appeal. A ferry ride to Toronto Island and back would be fun, inexpensive, and not take too long. Or you could go on a harbour boat tour.

Are you planning on staying at a hotel near the airport, or downtown? That might make a difference in suggestions for meals and amusements.

BAK

Old Feb 6th, 2005, 02:31 PM

Re: Niagara Falls, there are many many things to do with a child. Here is a short list (although some of the outdoor activities may be closed for the season depending on what time in Oct you are visiting):

Maid of the Mist - boat trip that takes you next to the falls
Journey Behind the Falls - walking tour down to the base of the falls
Jet Boat - boat trip on the Niagara rapids (leaves from Niagara on the Lake - about 15 mins north of Niagara Falls)
Marineland - not sure when it closes down for the season but it is basically a smaller version of SeaWorld
Aviary - Has a 100 or so different kinds of birds

There are also countless wax museums and haunted house type places (like Guinness Book of World Records) that a 12 yr old might find entertaining. Many adults think Niagara Falls is tacky but it is defininately family oriented.

To eat:
Rainforest Cafe - a national chain oriented towards kids, inside there is a "thunderstorm" every 30 mins or so and there are animated stuffed rainforest creatures around the restaurant
Planet Hollywood
Hard Rock Cafe
Hershey's Chocolate Store
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Dear BAK and kcapuani
Thanks so much for sharing. We will be arriving on the 2nd of Oct. and probably stay at a Downtown Hotel so that we can get around more easily. Hopefully we will be able to take advantage of "maid of the mist" which I think she will love. The Rainforest Cafe sounds like fun but the Hershey's Chocolate Store sounds like a must as she is a real 'chocoholic'. Anything going on that has to do with chocolate will have first priority.
Do you have any more information on this Store i.e. location, what to expect, etc. Thanks again
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 10:18 AM

Niagara Falls is a fun destination is itself...it is not quite what it used to be, but the falls are beautiful. i like the IMAX at Niagara falls.

Toronto is really fun too...You can always see a play, I am not sure what is playing.

May I suggest dinner at a restaurant called Kit Kat Club. It is nice, and appropriate for a child. They have a banyon tree growing in the middle of the kitchen. It is really neat. the food is Italian.

Old Feb 7th, 2005, 02:01 PM

It's basically a gigantic store selling every product that Hershey makes. There is also housemade fudge, cookies, hot chocolate etc. It is located on Falls Ave by the Rainbow Bridge, just around the corner from where Clifton Hill runs into Falls Ave.

cliftonhill.com is a good site to go to for info on Niagara Falls.

Have fun!
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 05:28 PM

Take her to the Bata Shoe Museum. If she likes clothes, she'll love the museum - and it's an interesting educational experience, too. The museum shows how shoes illustrate aspects of culture and society - so you can learn about topics like footbinding in Japan, the culture of the Plains Cree Indians in North America - and check out Elton John's shoes.

Where are you arriving from at 6:30 am? How tired are you going to be? Don't forget to plan for a short nap in late morning or in the afternoon if you're jet-lagged. If you sleep for no more than an hour or hour and a half, you should be able to fall asleep at a normal hour and wake up the next morning in good shape.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 05:50 PM
wow

Hello,Tyger! The Toronto airport is on the way to NF from downtown Toronto so you may want to consider renting a car @ the airport & driving to NF when you arrive in Toronto. ( about 1.5 hours..maybe less...very easy drive...) Spend that day in NF & overnight there. You will be tired. Then the 2nd day drive to your downtown hotel in Toronto. Or, drop your rental car @ the airport if you will not need it in TO. Then take a cab or limo to your downtown hotel. Enjoy TO. Then back to the airport for NYC!!
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 05:51 PM
BAK

The Rainforest Cafe is int he YorkDALE shopping center, andyou are in the YorkVILLE neighborhood. They are a long way apart, but it is easy to get from one to the other by subway.

I've eten at the Rainforest Cafe, and the food is good and the surroundings a lot of fun for kids and for adults with a sense of humor, or who like tropical fish. Good choice.

BAK
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 05:52 PM
wow

Oh... I just thought as I hit "post"...maybe you have planned to fly out of Buffalo to NYC in which case what I have suggested will not work...
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 06:57 AM
mtjt

Hi - first to clear up confusion, there are Rainforest Cafes in both the Toronto area (suburban north Yorkdale Plaza) and in Niagara Falls (Clifton Hill).

A day in Toronto with a 12 year old - assuming you want to remain in the general downtown area:
- Royal Ontario Museum - large with many different exhibits - gems and minerals to dinosaurs plus a Planetarium
- Harbourfront if it's summertime - shops, walkways, cafes overlooking water and sailboats, international craft market, outdoor music concerts, boat tours, etc.
- Chinatown - shops, small grocery stores and many restaurants, interesting hustle-bustle atmosphere
- the Eaton Centre - huge downtown shopping mall
If you're prepared to go a little farther afield (longer cab drive or car rental):
- Ontario Science Centre - northeast of downtown - interactive science museum very much geared to children and youths - includes an Imax Theatre
- Toronto Zoo - a world class zoo on the outer northeast edge of the suburbs

Old Feb 14th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so very very much.
I now have more than enough info and I am sure we will have a grand time - keep your fingers crossed that we'll have nice weather.

Special thanks to 'WOW' with your suggestion of taking the car on arrival and driving directly to the Falls - and then to Toronto . Great idea - am sure we will do this.