3 days in Toronto/Niagara Falls

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a long weekend in Toronto and Niagara for Labor Day weekend. It's the first time for my wife and 10 year old VERY active son.

We'll have three full days there. Can anyone answer a few questions based on my proposed itinerary?

1. I'm assuming we'll need a full day for Paramount Wonderland. Is that accurate?

2. Likewise I'm assuming a full day for the Ontario Science Center. Will we need it?

3. I understand there are fireworks every Friday night during summer. And that the Falls are illuminated colorfully at night. We'll want to see the Falls by day (do the Maid of the Mist) and the Falls by night with the fireworks. Assuming no other touristy things, can this be done in just a few hours?

4. Depending on the previous answer, can we cram CN Tower and/or Harborfront on the same day as the Falls?

Thanks to all for your help.

CMC
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 05:25 PM

Hi Chris.

Even though I live here, I haven't actually done Wonderland but I would guess you'd want close to the full day there. One other alternative to Wonderland is the Canadian National Exhibition (CNE) which is a huge, annual fair, midway, exhibition pretty well downtown Toronto with lots of rides, games and much, much more. It wraps up Labour Day weekend and there is always an airshow that weekend as well (not sure which day).

We have gone to the Science Centre several times and I don't think you need a full day there unless you are really into it. Instead you may want to visit the CN Tower or Harbourfront that day as well. If you have the budget for it, the CN tower has a revolving restaurant which may be a good choice for dinner - just make sure you go early enough to see the view (and don't bother if the visibility is no good obviously). The Royal Ontario Museum downtown Toronto is also an excellent choice if you guys like that sort of thing and if the weather is lousy.

As far as Niagara Falls goes, it's about 1 1/2 hour drive from Toronto and there is a lot of funstuff for 10 year olds - wax museums, Ripley's Believe It or Not - that sort of thing so you may want to spend a full day or the better part of it at Niagara. Niagara on the Lake is about 15 minutes away an is a lovely old-fashion town with lots of shops and restaurants. There are also horse carriage rides through the town which is quite nice as well. Niagara area has tons to offer - lots of local wineries as well.

Hope that helps.

Connie
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 06:34 AM

I would also recommend the CNE over Canada Wonderland... You can always take your son to a local amusement park, however the CNE gives you the rides plus an unlimited choice of concerts, events, shows, and displays... check the website for the schedule... You can do the Science center in a half day if you keep moving, but if your kid is interested in a display they can get stuck there.

As for the falls, the MUST DO's include the Maid of the Mist, Cave of the Winds(US side), and the spectacular Whirlpool Jetboats (from Niagara on the Lake)

If it were my schedule to plan...
DAY 1 -Friday

Arrive Niagara Falls (US) in AM - drive to Goat Island observation point and see US view and rapids.

Purchase tickets for Cave of the Winds as part of Activity package... proceed to Maid of the Mist and observation deck. Stop for Lunch at Top of the Falls restaurant.

Cross border into Canada and proceed to Niagara Park observation area... walk to Clifton Hill amusement area for museums, mini-golf, etc. In mid-afternoon break away for an easy drive up the Niagara Parkway to Niagara on the Lake(25 minutes)... head over to
the water for your Jetboat tour and dry off for a quick walk through the Village (10 year old may need Ice Cream boost)...

Have dinner in the village and head back to the Falls for the Fireworks...back to hotel

Saturday
Breakfast and off to Toronto...Stop at CN Tower followed by harbourfront (here you may want to do a boat tour or ferry to Centre Island) You may also want to grab picnic stuff at the Market and eat on the Islands

after lunch, head out to the Science Centre and close out the day there...

Sunday
Spend the day at the CNE

Hope this helps! Have Fun.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 09:38 AM

Hi Chris I'm a local so I'll try and be of some help. Wonderland is ok but Darien Lake six flags is better. It's a half hour from Niagara Falls. On the American side. Science center is really good. Also instead of maid of the mist I would do the speed boat. You can't cram harbour front and CN tower and niagara in one day. It'll take about two hours to go from niagara falls to toronto depending on traffic longer. I'm with the others the CNE is good but can get a little pricey. Here is a good website to check out http://www.infoniagara.com/
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions. Looks like I'll be reorganizing our itinerary!