Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

1 week Montreal + 1 week Quebec City - Oct 2011

Old Aug 21st, 2011, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I am Brazilian, my mother-language is Portuguese - so forgive all my English mistakes!

I have been following recent posts about Toronto, Montreal and Quebec City - those are been very helpful on planning my trip, which is: I will travel alone, spending 3 weeks vacations - 1 week in each city above (starting on Sept 28th). I like to walk a lot and I will be using public transportation. When I travel, besides visiting the touristic picks, I like cultural events (music, performances), and make time to appreciate the local atmosphere and environment.

- First of all, do you think it is "fare enough" 1 week in each place?

- Transportation from city to city - what would you recommend: bus? train? or would it be possible some sort of shared rides?

- For the parts of Montreal and Quebec City - what neighborhoods do you thing are nice to stay and have easy public transportation? (I am looking for accommodations on www.BBcanada.com and www.airbnb.com (private rooms in private houses).

And, since in October the weather could be unstable, what activities would you suggest, in case of rainy days?

I am looking forward for your inputs! Thank You!
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 01:24 PM

Aidicass
In my opinion, a week in each of the cities above is overkill. Four days each for Toronto and Montreal and three for Quebec City. Unless you have friends that you will be spending time with, i personally think you would have a lot of down time. Perhaps not quite two weeks total and then a plan to see other parts of Canada such as Vancouver and Banff? The Canadian rail system is excellent. You might go on line and check out a series of train voyages that would show you more of a comprehensive overview of the entire country in the three weeks you have.

Can't help you with your accommodation query but since both Toronto and Montreal are university cities, you might want to check out hostels or B&B located in those neighborhoods

Travel chat
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 06:35 PM

Adicass,

A week in Montreal and a week in Toronto should be fine, a week in Quebec City might be too much, as Quebec City is much smaller.
As for Montreal neighborhoods - the Plateau area is rich in Portuguese and Brazilian culture. The Plateau the part of Montreal is roughly Sherbrooke and north to St. Joseph , and centered between St. Laurent and Papineau. This area is also filled with inexpensive b&b's, interesting restaurants, cafes and shops. Public transportation is excellent throughout most of Montreal. Many locals use bicycles to get around. Bikes are readily available at self service stations all over the city. You will have no trouble finding things to on rainy days - funky shops, the Fine Arts Museum, Biodome, Biosphere, many churches, the underground city (huge shopping malls), live music venues, etc. You will love Montreal!
Quebec City is much less diverse (very French), but extremely beautiful. The Museum of Civilization is a great rainy day visit.
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you travelchat and zootsi, for all your inputs! I am also reading the reports of your previous trips in Montreal and Quebec, and picking some ideas. I have been reading so many good things here and there, I think I should stay 2 weeks on each place minimum!! I like to have time to enjoy the the cities´s atmosphere besides the touristic picks.

Zootsi, you mentioned on your reports about wine - that is something I didn´t realize yet, that Quebec Province produce good wines. Something to find out more.

I guess it will definitely NOT be boring!
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Well.... thinking about adding 1 or 2 days in Montreal and subtracting from Quebec.....