1 week in Nova Scotia.. Itinerary help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We finally have some plans made for our trip to NS July 28th-Aug 5th... but still have a few more questions I hope you can answer.
We fly into Halifax on July 28th and we're staying at the Westin. We plan on leaving Halifax and heading north to Baddeck July 29th. I just emailed the Broadwater Inn to see if there's availability that evening. We then move onto Ingonish the next day and have a reservation at the Lantern Hill & Hollow. On Monday we'd like to do a Whale Watching excursion in the Pleasant Bay area... Any suggestions on which company to book thru? We then plan to travel that evening to Inverness and stay at McLeods Inn... if there is availability. Does this sound feasible so far? Are we cutting ourselves too short in going counter clockwise around Cape Breton? Any place in particular that we'd want to make sure to target while traveling this path????
This only takes us up to Monday night for reservations... where to next??? The only place we've booked is the Marriot Harbourfront back in Halifax Aug 4th since we fly out Aug 5th.
Should we try to stay in Pictou or Truro on the way back south? Also, what about Wolfville? I'd love to see Cape Split or is that too far out?

My husband would also like to visit the wooden boat festival south of Halifax which I believe starts around Aug. 3rd...

Any additional suggestions would be most appreciated!!!!!!

THANK YOU!!
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 12:01 PM
ltt

your itinerary so far sounds nice - relaxed, not too much driving. for the remainder, i would stop in pictou for lunch and a visit but spend your remaining nights in halifax. plenty to see there.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 02:08 PM

It's the Mahone Bay Classic Boat Festival August 3-7. Lots of fun!!! My husband is a boatbuilder and will be showing two of his boats there. Here's a link to their website: http://www.woodenboatfestival.org/
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 03:38 PM

No offense to the Truro folk but I woulnt recommend this as an overnight of tourist destination.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 05:15 PM

LOL - I was gonna say... if choosing between Pictou and Truro for overnight lodging... go Pictou!

IF Cape Split is your interest, be ready for a 2 1/2-hour-each-way hike out to the end...

Since I went, I believe the province bought the once private land, and maaaaaaaaaybe the terrain is better and suitably marked these days, but ask others for an update.

When I got to the end out there... the very end was picturesque, but VERY windy... but there are very suitable, sheltered-from-the-wind spots to have lunch or snacks between photo ops.

I roughed it with just a bottle of juice and the advised change of socks, and didn't even put the other socks on until returning to my car.

There were times along the way that I was glad that SNOW was still on the ground (in March) so that I could easily spot the *path*. Hopefully it is better marked now. (NOT that you could get very lost with water all around)

Finally, it never hurts to put an extra day in a Nova Scotia trip in case the dreaded FOG kills off your view of, say, Cape Breton one day.

Old Jul 12th, 2006, 03:22 AM

You could opt for a couple more days in Cape Breton and do Fort Louisbourg?

Another suggestion would be to drive to Antigonish from Inverness - take the scenic route into New Glasgow (Sunrise Trail). Along that route there are many spots to stop and enjoy the scenery. Some call it the mini Cabot Trail. Cribbons Point Marina has a restaurant located there with good seafood. Drive into Big Island and enjoy the long, deserted stretch of beach. New Glasgow is a pretty little town with some great walking trails along the riverfront. Check out the Dock for a casual Irish ale - they now have a rooftop patio which boasts a view of the river. Pictou is very picturesque and there are many B&B's to choose from.

The next day I would head towards Tatamagouche. Just in Seafoam, stop at the Banana Pie Inc. shed on the main road for some organic goodies (she makes the best jams and pickles). Make sure you visit the Lismore Sheep Farm, stop and see Derek making wooden bowls, etc., Sara Bonnyman throwing pots, have lunch at the Train Station Inn , you can scoot into Jost Winery, or check out Sugar Moon Farm (maple syrup farm with a restaurant)., Balmoral Grist Mill, etc. This route would take you the better part of the day and eventually lead you into Truro. Spend a night at Erwin Lake Chalets! The next day head into Halifax and spend the day exploring there.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 07:15 AM

You could also add another night in Halifax and do the Lighthouse Route as a day trip. Beautiful villages there like Mahone Bay, Chester, Lunenburg....and wonderful scenery.
The Marriott Waterfrot is a nice hotel. You should request a harbour view CORNER room. Wonderful views!!
Have fun!
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 07:40 PM

ttt
All suggestions were great but Tanya and Karen make me want to leave tomorrow!!!!
Awesome details
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your help & suggestions. I'm taking notes and hope to make the best of all the comments. We're getting anxious!!!