10 Day Nova Scotia Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am spending 10 days in Nova Scotia Starting Aug 18th. This is what I have planned so far. Any comments or suggestions?
I enjoy views, beachcombing, Love east coast fiddle music, kayaking, small towns. I have always wanted to see the tides in the Bay of Fundy.

Day 1. pick up car, end up in Truro seeing minas basin along the way.
Day 2. Go to Parrsboro for the Rockhound fest. try to get on the 5 Isl. Geo tour. Beachcomb. End up at Cape D'or
Day 3. Drive the rest of the Scenic drive to see the Fossils at Joggins. Not sure if I also have time to see the Hopewell rocks that day.
Day 4. Drive towards Cape Breton Island. Can I make it to Baddeck in one go? Maybe I should split it up into 2 days and do the Sunrise trail.
Day 5/6 and maybe 7. Cabot Trail, Celidh trail and Louisbourg. I don't want to do heavy hiking, just some nice walks and some ocean views and beaches. Oh! and music!!
Day 8/9. Drive down to see Lunenburg, Mahone Bay, Peggys cove, maybe a kayak trip
Day 10 Halifax. Lv Halifax on the 28th

How does that look? Is it do-able? I had thought about also doing a whale trip from Digby or Brier Isl but can't see how to fit it in. I think I could also do a whale trip from Cheticamp.
Any other suggestions? Thanks!!
I am getting excited!!
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 02:43 PM

I'm sure that as you write you have a visual image of your trip in mind. Because I can't exactly see your visions, I might need a little more info.

I don't get a vibe that you have enough obvious exposure/impressions to/of the tides in the Bay as you describe your itinerary.

When I answered that long-time desire to see those tides, the part that SMACKED ME most directly was rounding a curve near the water and seeing a healthy-sized ocean-going vessel sitting on top of a couple inches of mud in the tide flats. It was tied to a dock dozens of feet above the muddy floor of the bay, but the nearest water was a country mile out to sea.

Someone who loves "views, beachcombing... (and) small towns" could really do well with a bit more (obvious) poking around to see the tides.

If you want to impress your friends back home with photos, either the ocean-going vessels on the floor tied to a dock, OR the Hopewell Rocks will best do the trick.

I tell ya, the tides are really different there... oh, and you might even consider catching the "tidal bore" on some convenient river one day. In ways it isn't much, but it drives home the power of these tides. (if able to go from the "Joggins" area to Hopewell Cape on that same day, you've gotta go near Moncton anyway, so (if possible) time things to coincide with the "Tidal Bore" there. ("Tidal Bore Park" is the name of the [wide piece of grassy riverbank] from which you can watch the river switch directions)

FYI - if you find yourself even somewhat rushed when driving from Cape Breton back toward the Halifax area... DON'T opt for the Atlantic Coast path along Hwy #7 as it takes plenty of time. If crazy enough to dare Hwy #16 and then down the coast (Canso)... you may even get marooned by a FERRY CROSSING that you have to take, and the ferry goes only once per hour at Isaacs Harbor. (I'm sure the big road to Truro and then Halifax from there isn't too enticing when you're trying to take-in all of NS, but when time becomes an element, take it)

For the most part, I don't see anything out-of-whack about your itinerary.

Hope this helps
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 09:49 AM

I just returned from a whirlwind driving tour of Cape Breton, Louisberg and then Halifax, Lunenberg. I can't comment on the itinerary, but here's a couple of thoughts:

- for Acadian culture and music, Cheticamp on the Cabot Trail is really neat, there's a great CD store that will supply you with lots of take home music.
- there's a nightly concert at Louisberg of a great Rankin-type band, you'd have to stay there though likely
- truro is an odd little town, I would just drive through is possible, but if you do stay, stay at the best western, we stayed at the nicest motel and it was 'iffy'
- baddeck is great, the Yellow Cello has live music during dinner, we got a fiddle concert
- Mahone Bay is great, and Lunenberg is a must
- if you have time, Keji (it has a longer name, it is a national park) has a coastal arm, it has white sand beaches and is breathtaking, in fact all beautiful 'white sand' beaches are south so you might want to look into that
- there are neat parks in bay of fundy to consider for short hikes.

Have a great trip!