Search

Zoo-Manly

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zoo-Manly

Is it possible to take the ferry to Taronga zoo early in am then take bus to Spit for the Spit to Manly walk. Not sure if that is possible in the same day or not.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 05:58 PM

I should imagine so, from memory, government buses go down to the entrance of the Zoo, then you would have get the bus back up to the main road, and catch another bus down to the Spit.
I would allow at least a day to enjoy the Spit to Manly walk (especially if you want to have a swim enroute, or eat in one of the parks), as for the Zoo, I have always considered it to be another full day, to fully enjoy it.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 05:17 AM

As usual, tropo is right on all counts. The bus from the top entrance of the zoo will take you to Mosman Junction (ten minutes). Then you can get another bus down to the Spit Bridge (six minutes). Sounds easy, doesn't it?

But, frankly, I would do these two destinations on separate days. Getting from the ferry to the zoo top entrance means walking around quite a hilly area.... unless, of course, you take the cable car and then miss seeing the zoo! Walking around the many curved trails in the zoo, getting lost, doubling back on your tracks -- all part of the fun -- is going to take you ninety minutes. With waiting for buses, count on another thirty minutes before you see the Spit Bridge, probably more. This will put you at the entrance to the Spit-Manly walk around lunch time, and you may find you're already feeling a little tired, unless you're used to walking in hilly country.

The walk is AT LEAST three hours, more like four, and while it's not by any means a difficult walk for an old man in his sixties, there are quite a few steps to climb, and in some sections it's a long way between rest stops.

I think that if you must do this in a day, do it in reverse. Get the early ferry to Manly (it will run earlier than the ferries to Taronga anyway), do the walk in the morning (this way the hardest bits will be tackled first.... by the time you get up the climbing trails to the aboriginal carvings opposite North head, you will feel reassured to know that it's downhill all the way), planning to finish around lunch time. When you emerge at the Bridge, catch the first bus heading toward the city and get off at Mosman Junction. This would be a nice place for a quiet lunch. Ask the restaurateur where to get the bus for the zoo, and start your viisit there at the top, working your way down to the ferry (much easier!) You can see the water and you will know just how far you have to go... if you're dead on your feet, you can take a direct route, or, if you're still fresh, wander around a bit. You'll really enjoy the final ferry ride when you climb on board for the trip back to Circular Quay!
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, tropo & Alan, I think we will take 2 days for the above.I haven't asked many questions on this board but have done lots of "copy/pastes" Think I have our itin pretty much set. Fly to SYD from LAX-6-8Sept, 4 nts at Marriott harborside. Do all suggested walks,aquarium,zoo etc will skip Blue Mtns since we live in the Rockies. Fly to Cairns,1 nt get on Nimrod dive boat for 4 nts. Then 4 more nts in Cairns (Matson resort); train,skyrail Tjupukai pk; Treknorth for Daintree; not sure if we want to do Undara lava tubes the last day or if we'll be "toured" out by then. Then fly to MEL for 4 nts (CI Elizabeth Towers) do city tour/penquins day 1, Queen Vic market etc; GOR tour; then have to fly home. Any other suggestions in the above cities are welcome. Think we'll be exhausted by then. Thanks for everyones' help on different subjects.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 02:37 AM

Fee fi fo fum, I smell missed opportunity here! For one thing, Blue Mts aren't remotely redundant with rocky mts; they aren't mountains at all, but a vast canyon you view from edge of a plateau. Oh, are you tired of the grand canyon, well this is more like the treed north side, but just uniquely mellow, pleasing, and unmissable. And very cheap and accessible if you take offpeak train just after 9am to Katoomba or Laura Falls.

On the other hand, the zoo (and possibly the aquarium) is on the whole more like a generic experience you have available everywhere - especially if you will be peeking at some of the unique ozzie wildlife elsewhere on your tour. Sure, their zoo is nice enough, but ten times lower priority than Blue Mts. for most.

Oddly, I would still recc taking the ferry to the zoo - for the coastal walk to the spit bridge, then onward to Manly! I have repeatedly strolled almost the entire circumfrence of the harbor east of the (coathanger) bridge, and one of the most pleasantest surprises was the portion west of the spit that goes along an abandoned naval base among other things. Stand at gun emplacements on a cliff overlooking racing sailboats, see nature and a village.

If you saved your legs walking up and down the hills of the zoo, you could walk from zoo to the spit then onward to Manly (where you want to arrive last so you know how much further wandering around in this facinating place you can handle before collapsing in the ferry). The spit-manly walk is nice for it's undeveloped state, but the corresponding walk on the south side is very beautiful and less clambering. Start at Watson's bay and wander as far as you wish - hopefully further than the next ferry stop. Plenty of natural and manmade delights as well as snack opportunities.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Oh dear, I thought I had everything planned--guess we'll have to really be running to get everything in,in just 4 days in SYD, including the day we arrive after flying 2 1/2 hr to LAX, sitting there 5 hr then the 13 hr flt. I'm exhausted just thinking about it all. Guess I need some sleeping pills to help get me thru it all, usually I can't sleep on planes, just can't get comfy.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 09:11 AM

DH is a pharmacist and recommends Ambien. You will need a prescription. We have the same flight times... leaving Minneapolis at 4pm and then a long LAX layover!