YASS Any points of interest,dining, accommodation?

Jun 28th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Original Poster

YASS Any points of interest,dining, accommodation?

My husband and I are attending a wedding in Yass and will have a week to potter around the area.

I like gardens and historical buildings while my husband enjoys food, wineries and hiking.

Any suggestions for sightseeing, dining or accommodation would be most welcome.

Jun 28th, 2008, 04:06 AM

I remember Wee Jasper being not too far from Yass. There is lovely scenery around the river there and caves. Also wineries around the area towards Canberra I think. Sounds like a lovely area to spend a week exploring.
Jun 28th, 2008, 07:13 AM

If you enjoy historical buildings, you won't want to miss Cooma Cottage, the home of explorer Hamilton Hume and now a National Trust property. You don't say when you are going to Yass, but I see from the Cooma Cottage website that the home is closed now until the first Monday in August.
Another site that should interest you is the Peter Crisp Gallery and Gardens. It's located about 15 km south of Yass on the Hume Highway.
I suggest you take at look at the Visitor's Guide on the Yass Valley Tourism website:http://www.yass.nsw.gov.au/tourism.html
It looks like there's a lot of info on hiking, wineries and dining in and around Yass.
And, of course, you can always take a day trip to Canberra. We did lots of hikes in Namadgi National Park and there's plenty of historical buildings, gardens, wineries and good dining in the city as well.
Jun 29th, 2008, 03:17 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks - will follow through on your suggestions -sounds like an interesting area to visit. Any restaurants you can recommend?
Jun 29th, 2008, 10:35 PM

<<Any restaurants you can recommend?>>

You could try McDonalds, I remember seeing a sign for it, it had the the golden arches and Yass next to it, as in M YASS

Geordie
Jun 30th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

I asked for 'dining' not a drive through but I am sure you intent was to be helpful
Jun 30th, 2008, 10:32 PM

It was my intent / attempt at humour as there is an actual MCDonalds sign as you enter YASS that reads as MYASS

Geordie