Search

Adelaide Hills

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adelaide Hills

We have two days/two nights to spend in the Adelaide Hills in late August. We will probably stay at a B&B. I know we would like to go to Hahndorf but would like recommendations on what else to see whilst we are there. I'm thinking in terms of lovely little shops to fossick around, art galleries etc. Are there any National Trust places to go visit? We will have our own car. Tips on B&B's that you have stayed at would also be appreciated.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 09:03 PM

Shandy
I recently attended a conference in the Clare Valley Country Club and found it to be very central to the Clare wine country. While not a B&B, the units are spacious and have a kitchen, and the restaurant there does a nice breakfast. The roads back to Adelaide were dotted with interesting places and lots of wineries.
Enjoy
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 09:53 PM

The Clare valley is a bit further than adelaide hills.

you might like to look at the hans heysen house.

the www.southaustralia.com has a good website and you can go on and request to be sent brochures in the mail, which might help you out.

you might also like to look at the grand mercure at mt lofty as an option for accom. I haven't stayed, but it looked nice and is in a lovely spot.

there are lots of great drives in the hills - go to the pub at norton summit and have a drink on the verandah, in the afternoon, it's lovely!
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 09:45 PM

Also I would recommend the Stirling Hotel for a nice pub lunch and for a 'special' lunch or dinner the Bridgewater Mill cannot be beaten.

Strathalbyn is a liitle town that has interesting buildings, some antique shops and also little cafes and a good pub for a lunch - the Three Brothers Arms I think it is called.
If you are interested in wine there are several good Hills wineries - Shaw Smith and Nepenthe being a couple. There will be tourist offices in Hanhdorf for you to get more information once you are there.

Birdwood has the National Motor Museum if you are interested in that sort of thing.Also, for walkers there is the Heysen Trail.

In August think warm, open fires inside and and coats and gloves outside - I don't know where you are from but we are having a cold (but dry) winter in Adelaide! Have a great time!
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 02:19 PM

Be sure to visit Aptos Cruz Gallery (art, furniture, ethnographica)in Mt Barker Rd, Matilda's Bookshop in the Stirling shops, and all the little shops in Aldgate in the main street. Slightly further out but 10 mins in the car in the main street of Oakbank is the Oakbank Weaver, a National Trust building and a hills institution - beautiful scarves, fabric, tapestries, wallhangings, made on traditional looms and you can watch the husband-and-wife team at work. Next to Oakbank (and much closer than Strathalbyn) is Woodside with its large range of antique shops, excellent for fossicking. If you happen to be in Stirling on the 4th Saturday of the month don't miss the Stirling market in the reserve opposite Woolworth's - terrific craft, produce, plants, Hills gourmet offerings, etc. Great atmosphere. Hahndorf is interesting but a bit over-the-top, and while the charming buildings are original (particularly look for Hahndorf Academy, studio of Hans Heysen), not much about the German culture is - it's promoting a beer-swilling Bavarian theme when of course the original inhabitants were God-fearing refugees from Silesia. Best National Trust options are Mount Lofty House and Botanical Gardens, Beechwood Garden in Stirling, and Stangate in Aldgate, the National Trust camellia garden which should be in full glory when you're there - really lovely. Strathalbyn has good NT offerings too. And of course, the Bridgewater Mill, as others have said, is really delightful. have fun in this beautiful part of the world.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

There are lots of ideas here. It certainly doesn't look as though we will be bored. When do we fit in the time to simply sit in front of a big open fire with a glass of wine and a good book?

Thanks to all those who responded with suggestions.