Best place for a meat pie

Old Jul 11th, 2006, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best place for a meat pie

I didn't want to hijack the other thread, but a poster commented he thought the best meat pie could be found at the Ivanhoe Pub in Blackheath. Seeing that my hometown is Katoomba, I thought I would throw in my two cents of what I think of what makes a good meat pie, and where I think they exist.

To me, a good meat pie has a balance of meat and gravy, erring more on the meat side than gravy. Too 'sloppy' a mixture allows the filling to seep out and scald your hand. Something I learned many-a-time as a child growing up! Purists probably don't like onion in their pie, but I like just a little taste of it. The crust should be soft and flaky, but strong enough to be held in the hand as you attempt to eat it.

However, if you are attempting to eat the pie with a knife and fork, a sturdy crust allows the pie to be sliced neatly and consumed without pie filling dribbling out.

I am the first to admit, my favourite way of eating a pie is to remove the 'lid' of the pie to let some heat escape, putting a little dab of tomato sauce on top of the meat mixture, stirring, and replacing the 'lid'. I prefer this as opposed to smearing the sauce on top of the pie, and then constantly wiping the tomato sauce off my face.

That being said, I am an expat Aussie living and working in the USA. The most memorable pie I ever had was at the Paragon in Katoomba. It embodied the hearty filling with the delicate buttery crust that I so enjoy. I'm not sure if the Paragon still exists.. it used to be one of those places that was historical and yet completely kitschy. My brother was a kitchenhand there in the early 90s and it was a delight when he would bring home a pie, or family pie, for us to enjoy.

For a 'cheap' pie, I like the meat pie's from Michel's Patisserie. I don't know what it is about the recipe, but there is something about the crust that has me drooling just thinking about it!

Where have you found the best tasting meat pie?
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 11:39 AM

Great post! We only had meat pies at Harry's in Wooloomoloo (sp). We both had the tiger pie which was topped with a heap of mushy peas. Soooo good. They remind me of the pasties served in a few small towns in Wisconsin that were settled by Cornish miners.
I am going back to Sydney in October with my friend and will check out the place in Katoomba!
Liz
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 11:54 AM

Another Aussie expat here up in the frozen north (Alaska). I have resorted to making my own meat pies now! And they're pretty good, even if I do say so myself !!

My mum used to make the BEST meat pies ever. Fergusons had good pies, and so did Dinkum Pies.

Now whenever we travel back home I love to try the pies in local bakeries and cake shops in small country towns.

Now, don't get me started on the cakes I miss - I'd kill for a fresh piece of Fergusons Boston Bun with butter right now !!

Gilbert
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 01:00 PM

Hard to find a good pie these days.

Had a great pastie in a bakery at Boonah, southern QLD and enjoyed the famous pies at The Pinnacle Hotel on the road from Mackay to Eungella National Park.

In Sydney, generally speaking, they are mainly imported these days and worth avoiding at all costs.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 03:10 PM

For me, what makes a good pie is chunks of meat, not minced (ground) beef. I'm a fan of shepherd's pie, too, with a mashed potato topping. Interesting to hear about pasties in that area of Wisconsin - they're popular in South Australia too, where Cornish tin miners settled at an early stage.

I read that a test of supermarket meat pies found the best at Aldi stores, a German cut-price chain that's making some welcome headway against the Woolworths-Coles duopoly. Those two have made an art form of driving local independent greengrocers and butchers out of business, then gradually upping their prices. They control about two-thirds of the Australian fresh fruit-and-veg market, and we've found most of their prices are 50-100% higher than the Fyshwick (Canberra) fresh-food market we patronise. Woolworths once had the gall to claim that their net profit margin in that department was only 4%. Sure - pull the other one!

Sorry, getting off the track again...
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 12:56 AM

My votes for best Aussie pies are: (1) the pie shop in Richmond (Tasmania) near the gaol.
(2) The Upper Crust, Pittwater Road, Collaroy (Northern Beaches, Sydney).

It's 5 or so years since I had my last Richmond pie so don't even know if that shop's still there ... but I can still savour the pie in my memory!

The other one is within walking distance of my home and mostly has a queue outside so they must be doing something right
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 03:13 AM

Parkers Pies in Rutherglen - many different varieties - around 15 from memory - even if you don't like pies they will tempt your taste buds - in the middle of the wine region - norht east victoria - worth visiting
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

MMmmm.... I'm drooling again!

Boston Buns! Pasties! I believe I am going to have to take photographs to remind myself of all the food that I eat when I go home!

Even a bowl of freshly fried potato wedges (wedgies!) with sour cream, bacon, and chives, are calling my name today!

Liz - I am a Liz, too! I've never been to Harry's, which is actually quite sad of me, but I have driven past it. I might try to make it there just to try it.

Gilbert - I try making my own pies too. I have a Commonsense Cookbook which has a meat pie recipe that includes Parisian Essence. On my last trip home I made sure I purchased some and wouldn't you know it.. the bottle has never been opened! I shall have to try again. My children aren't fond of eating my "Australian" creations.

Neil - We have an Aldi's here in Indianapolis, but they usually target the budget/frugal shopper. I don't know about the one's here seeing I don't shop there, but I've heard they are rather dirty and the meat isn't that fresh. I know of a company in California that makes a meat pie and ships it with dry-ice to businesses and residences. Apparently they are popular with the expat community here. I do love Shepherd's pie, though. The closest imitation I've found of it here is at an Irish chain restaurant, the Claddaugh.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 03:59 PM

Jimmys mince pies in Roxburgh NZ. No gravy just beautifully seasoned meat
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 01:37 AM

For me, the ('gourmet')chicken pie at Ivanhoe is the standout - the filling is a meal in itself, with hint of white wine and leek, and chunks of meat still succulent - I dislike strawy, stringy overcooked chicken. The crust does not have the starchy texture of most pies; instead shortcrust is used for both base and cap.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 02:47 AM

A great Pie had at the Mole Creek Bakery, Mole Creek, Northern Tasmania. Almost as good as the Bakery in Allora, Queensland! Enjoy.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 09:38 AM

Would any one like to post their recipies for Aussie meat pies here on this website, or post links to websites that may have them.

Also are there any mail order places here in the States that could ship em out?

Bill

P.S. The Rottnest Bakery used to be the best place after a night of drinking at the Quokka Arms. But as they got more popular, and bigger, the quality went down. I always liked the steak and onion or steak and mushies.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 10:38 AM

Bill- I don't know how these compare to the Aussie versions, but they ARE the Wisconsin (of Cornish heritage) version!
Liz

http://www.pastys.com/
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

I'll find some of my Aussie recipes and post them today or tomorrow, time dependent.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 03:33 PM

emilid, "dirty" and unfresh food certainly doesn't describe Aldi's Australian stores. It's a low-overhead operation that targets the budget (or as I like to think the smart) shopper. Their product range isn't as broad as the majors. We can't see the point in paying quite a bit more for generally no higher and often lower quality at "Colesworths".
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 08:59 PM

Best Pies
Rolling Pin Pie Shop in Ocean Grove on the Bellarine Peninsula Victoria.
Winner of many awards, always busy and sell out very early in the holiday season (summer)
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 09:35 PM

wow, lots of pie nominations, thanks Bokhara, I forgot the name of the one at Collaroy, Sydney with a well deserved high reputation.

They know how to make a good meat pie in Mackay, Queensland too. Can't remember name of bakery but any local would know. Pie vans are common, in Cairns you usually find them parked around suburban streets, so you can grab one as you drive by, spilling hot filling down you arm as you go.

Not meat pies but the very best have had are in Karuah, a few of hours north of Sydney on Pacific Highway. Oyster pies, made from luscious local oysters, with gorgeous flaky pastry. On RH side going north, over road from roadhouse, just a humble little cafe with takeaway.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 04:21 AM

Oyster pies! I'm drooling already. Reminds me of a roadside store somewhere on the North Island of NZ that sold mussel pies, in addition to (as you'd expect?) roast lamb & mint sauce and many other varieties of pies.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 08:10 PM

And in Hobart you can eat delicious scallop pies!
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 12:01 AM

I had a scallop pie at a pub in Campbelltown in Tassie about 10 years ago...scrumptious!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -