Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

X-mas in Sydney lunch/dinner recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Kevin

Again, HELLO! Wonderful forum- wonderful people-thanks for all the help. We're getting down to the nitty-gritty now. We are landing in Sydney Christmas morning and I'm looking for a good recommendation for lunch/dinner. We're booked to stay at the Ana but I don't think we'll be up to the full deal that they put on, seeing as how we're just coming off the LONG flight! Someplace on the harbor, in The Rocks, or... Any good thoughts out there?

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 05:08 PM
john

Kevin...<BR>Do not go anywhere near Bondi Beach on xmas day.<BR><BR>How is the rest of your itinerary looking?

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 05:53 PM
Kevin

Hi John-the rest is looking pretty good. We're not really the tourist types but you wouldn't know that by our schedule. We'll be in Sydney until the 29th, drive up the coast to Brisbane to arrive the 31st, spend New Years with my daughters host, then fly up to Cairns to go to Palm Cove and stay thru the 6th. The Sebel I think-but that's not inked yet. Back to Sydney the 6th to come home the 7th. I haven't set up any place to stay on the drive...we thought we'd wing it. Do you think it will be tough? And, what's up with Bondi Beach on X-mas?

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 06:26 PM
john

Kevin,<BR>I think you have got a good itinerary.Your drive up the coast and time in Brissy will be a fair distance away from other (particularly north american )tourists.Palm Cove isn't too hectic either.A good choice in my book.<BR><BR>I guess you are paying a pretty penny at the ana but it is in a good postion.Can you speak japanese?<BR><BR>At Bondi beach on xmas day all the backpackers in sydney stake a position in the sand (there are thousands of them) and booze up.They have signs indicating their hometown.Perhaps you could get out there,with your jet lag and a slab of VB and stick up an &quot;orange county california &quot; sign!<BR><BR>The rest of sydney will be quiet on xmas day.There is no thanksgiving here so xmas is the big family reunion occasion.<BR><BR>You should be right winging it for accomodation up the coast.You sound pretty flexible.Get a NRMA accomodation guide and call ahead for a booking in the am.<BR>Actually we will be up on the northern rivers of nsw at the time you are passing through.Maybe we could meet for a drink?<BR><BR>cheers<BR>JOhn

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 08:25 AM
Kevin

Thanks for the info, John. You tae Palm Cove over Port Douglas? The Sebel? I haven't locked that portion in but would like to in the next day or so. Hooking up sounds like fun, except how do we find you? Will you be on the side of the road with a sign? Just kidding! &quot;american tourists stop here!&quot; Just had to say it. Anyway, your help has been great-e-mail e with contact info if your serious about that drink-I'm buying...Kevin

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 01:28 PM
john

Kevin<BR><BR>well the cairns v palm cove v port douglas debate (like the &quot;where on the GBR&quot; debate or &quot;should i go to melbourne&quot; debate) is one of the eternal themes that keeps this board alive.<BR>I have been in cairns and palm cove this year.it is twenty years since i was in port.<BR>IMHO both palm cove and port are preferable to cairns and that is the consensus here.<BR>Friends of mine from central ca went to palm cove this may (they had points at the marriot)and loved it.<BR>I think you will find you can get better deal at palm cove and it is quite accessible to the reef and daintree and cairns airport.Take a day trip to the daintree via port.<BR><BR>Why don't we have a drink?I will e mail. see you at the Beach hotel at byron,or the Brunswick heads hotel or the rod and reel at Lennox head or the royal hotel at bangalow or the friendly hotel at eltahm......<BR><BR>Have you got a road map of the nsw coast?<BR>

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 02:18 PM
Kevin

John-that sounds fun. We should be in that area on the 30th as we're leaving Sydney the 29th. I have the lonely planet Australia book, National Geographic map of Australia, etc. The lonely planet has a decent map of north coast NSW, only small. I'm sure I'll have a better map wen we book a car. I did find all but eltahm...finding these spots shouldn't be a problem. Would you recommend staying in that area the 30th?

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 02:43 PM
john

Kevin<BR>Sorry for the typo ...it is eltham..a very small place..with a very typical country pub.<BR><BR>yes i would recommend staying in the byron or hinterland area on the 30th.I am biased ( i grew up, up there and my mum still lives near Bangalow) but Byron and hinterland is the pick of the aussie east coast.<BR><BR>Accommodation in byron itself is likely to be very tight but you should be ok in ballina or brunswick etc. <BR><BR>I would get there early 30th..dive julian rocks,take the sea kayak tour,walk up to the lighthouse from wategos beach,take a drive up to minyon falls,swim in the natural pool at the base of the falls in the rainforest etc etc

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 09:55 PM
LuMacD

Hi if you need any more inormation about Sydney email me- I and my family live here. Also have some American friends if you wanted to hear the familiar 'twang' and/or meet people. Cheers and have fun<BR><BR>PS We just returned from a rounfd the word trip and found people in Cali very friendly