Search

Caims or Sydney???/

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2003, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caims or Sydney???/

We are planning our vacation and wanted to get advice on which is the better place to visit? We are more into diving and such so we are leaning towards caims. but also We would love to see Sdyney as well since it's the major city in Australia. <BR><BR>Anybody have suggestions on what these area's have to offer?<BR><BR>Thanks.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 04:56 PM

Hi - I am responding as someone who lives in Sydney but hasn't been to Cairns, but the two places are like Chalk and Cheese.<BR><BR>Sydney is a very large city. Big Buildings, lots of people, magnificent harbour, with all the associated fabulous restaurants, great beaches and terrific nightlife and shopping and a big city infrastructure. There are the usual attractions you hear about such as the Harbour Bridge (and climb), Opera House, Zoo, Bondi Beach, The Rocks etc.<BR><BR>Cairns is a resort town. Almost wholly in existance because of tourism. I would say more relaxing than Sydney and so different that you could not compare the two. If you are looking for a resort style holiday with your diving, some rainforest etc thrown in, perhaps a bit of adventure as well I would choose Cairns. If you want a trip which would be visiting galleries, museums, and sightseeing, restaurants, and shopping I would choose Sydney. <BR><BR>Could you do both, perhaps Sydney first and then finish off with a more relaxing trip to Cairns? It would be a shame to miss either I think.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Hi Danielle,<BR><BR>Thanks much for your help. Yes we are now planning to do both after more research. But there are so many places to see!!! It is really difficult to organize this so early. Right now we want to start out at syndney and then go to Cairns. Also, we would love to go to Brisbane and up the coast . <BR><BR>I know this may sound like a stupid question but : where is the place that you see on tv all thetime where the tourists are playing with the Koala bears in their arms and petting kangaroo's in the open??<BR><BR>Thanks much again.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 02:41 PM

I'm sorry Nack I really can't help - we don't seem to have that ad on tv here (not that I've seen anyway). I know you can pat koalas and feed kangaroos at Currumbin Sanctuary (Gold Coast), but aside from that I'm sure there are many sanctuary's both near Sydney and in Northern Queensland that could offer the same experience.<BR>You could try this website for the Cairns area : <BR>http://www.queensland-holidays.com.au/pfm/menu/attracts/index.htm<BR><BR>Hope you have a great time.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 03:23 PM

We are going to Cairns and Sydney for 4 nights each in April. <BR><BR>We plan to do the Spit to Manly walk, Bridge Climb, see a performance at the Opera House, Taronga Zoo, cruise the harbour and take a day trip to the Blue Mountains while we are in Sydney.<BR><BR>In Cairns, (actually we're staying in Port Douglas) we'll do a day trip to the Daintree Rainforest, a day trip to Kuranda (where the Heritage Zoo will let you hold and take a picture with a koala, a day trip to Lizard Island for snorkeling, and a day of laying on the beach.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 09:36 PM

Sydney hands down!
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 10:27 PM

I've been to Australia several times. It's a wonderful country to explore. You just have to spend a few days in Sydney. It's one of the most beautiful cities in the world and so much to see. There is a terrific zoo (Taronga) where you can see koalas, but if you make it to Brisbane, you can take a quick bus trip to Lone Pine Sactuary. This is the place to hold a koala and get your photo taken. You can then take a boat ride back to Brisbane. When you go to Cairns (another must do), be sure to take a Quicksilver boat trip to snorkel on the GB Reef. You'll love it!
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 03:06 AM

You don't say what time of year you will be going, and that is an important factor. During the Aussie summer, Cairns is very wet, and there are box jellyfish along the coastline. You would be okay in South Queensland, though, and near Brisbane are some great places like Noosa Heads and Fraser Island. In the winter, North Queenland is perfect, while Sydney can be rather cool.<BR><BR>There are lots of places to see koalas up close. One is Featherdale, in the Blue Mountains near Sydney. Around Brisbane, check out Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 08:58 PM

Just got back from Australia, suggest you check Australia news prior to going, Cairnes has 16 cases of Denque feverand expects more cases.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 07:38 PM

Greetings Nack<BR><BR>Last August we were fortunate to be able to spend a week in Sydney, 3 days in Port Douglas and 3 days in Cairns. We loved all 3 cities. Cairns and PD are very different from Sydney as I am sure you can imagine. Having been to all 3, we can't imagine not visiting all 3. All 3 are unique in one way or another. Which ever you choose, we are sure you will have a great time.<BR><BR>We loved it so much, we are returning again this April and are planning a 3rd trip again next August.<BR><BR>Also, we posted a lot of questions and received some terrific advice from everyone on this board, and that added to the fun. We felt very much at home in all 3 cities, and we are from Florida in the states.<BR><BR>Cheers<BR><BR>Steve
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 01:55 PM

If you had to pick one over the other, I would say Cairns - particularly as you are into diving. The Reef is a must-see.