Wildlife in Australia

Jan 29th, 2003, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Wildlife in Australia

Where is the best place to see animals in the wild in Australia? Tasmania? Kangaroo Island?
Jan 30th, 2003, 05:20 AM

G'day Nell,
Australia is such a big country with different climatic zones and different type of vegetation. Because of that you will find that different native fauna is more predominat in different areas.

For example it's much easier to see Koala and Wombat in Victoria than in the NT, however you'll see many more different Lizards and Dingo in the NT than in Victoria.
If you have the time then travel lets say from Vic ( Melbourne ) through SA, Central Australia and up to the NT, finishing in Darwin.
Maybe even include the Simpson Desert in such a trip. ( You would need a 4WD )
You can do such a trip in 3 weeks, however 5 - 6 weeks will give you some time to stop for a day or two at different places along your way.

Cheers, Mike.
Jan 30th, 2003, 09:15 AM

HELP ME!!!!!
I am a home schooled student and im doing a very special report on australia plesa give me info of anything you can think of pictures will be accepted too. my e-mail is [email protected]
Jan 31st, 2003, 12:45 AM

I don't think there is a 'best' place. As Mike says, different places have different wildlife. The Grampians in Victoria (the town is Halls Gap) has lots of wildlife, we always see kangaroos, wallabies, emus, kookaburras, cockatoos, galahs and often koalas, maybe an echidna. If you go, ask at the Visitors Centre on the best places to see wildlife, usually dusk and dawn are best for viewing as that's when the animals come out looking for food, they sleep during the day.
Kay
Feb 5th, 2003, 03:26 PM

We went to KI and in one day got to see Kangaroo's, koalas, beautiful birds, king snake (yuck), australian sealions, nz fur seals, whales, and penguins. I felt like that was a lot and it was all in the wild. We didn't disturb them,just observed them! It was a Great experience!